Compining lazer beam?

Main Question or Discussion Point

hello , everybody, i need help please
i want to combining two lazer beam (coherent lazer) ,
but i don,t know how to calculate the new one
i have the value of the two wavelengths (.6328 micro ) and (.5145 micro ) but how to get the new one ?
can i take the average of them ?

Answers and Replies

Photons do not interact that way. Your scenario would simply provide for their own independent frequencies; thus nothing would change.
In other words, photon frequencies do not add or subtract when they mingle.

yes , you are right , but when we insert 2 lazer beam each with own color to planner optical diffraction grating ,with a certain angle , they appear at the destination port as a new lazer beam with a new color (new wavelength) , qustion how to calculate this wavelength?
are you understanding me?

Even so, if you combine two wavelengths they are really just running parallel. Another beam splitter could get you back to both beams again. Imagine if you had an amount of green light combined with a unit of red light. Just like a color wheel, when they are added they make yellow. Your eye does not receive a yellow color. It recieves an equal number of red and green thus perceiving yellow. I hope I explained this right.

EDIT - I think I didn't read your last post clearly and I don't know what you asking for. But the slit experiment should break up the two wavelengths at certain intervals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment

Last edited:
you mean that is we can't make wavelength from other wavelengths,so how to add wavelengths