Combining Laser Beams: Calculating the Optimal Wavelength | Expert Tips

• Thread starter engalaanabil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beam
In summary, the conversation revolves around combining two laser beams with different wavelengths and calculating the new wavelength. However, it is stated that photons do not interact in that way and their frequencies do not add or subtract when they mingle. It is also mentioned that when passing through an optical diffraction grating, the two beams can appear as a new beam with a new color. The concept of combining two wavelengths to create a new one is compared to mixing colors on a color wheel. The possibility of using the slit experiment to break up the wavelengths is also mentioned.
engalaanabil
hello , everybody, i need help please
i want to combining two laser beam (coherent lazer) ,
but i don,t know how to calculate the new one
i have the value of the two wavelengths (.6328 micro ) and (.5145 micro ) but how to get the new one ?
can i take the average of them ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Photons do not interact that way. Your scenario would simply provide for their own independent frequencies; thus nothing would change.
In other words, photon frequencies do not add or subtract when they mingle.

yes , you are right , but when we insert 2 laser beam each with own color to planner optical diffraction grating ,with a certain angle , they appear at the destination port as a new laser beam with a new color (new wavelength) , qustion how to calculate this wavelength?
are you understanding me?

Even so, if you combine two wavelengths they are really just running parallel. Another beam splitter could get you back to both beams again. Imagine if you had an amount of green light combined with a unit of red light. Just like a color wheel, when they are added they make yellow. Your eye does not receive a yellow color. It receives an equal number of red and green thus perceiving yellow. I hope I explained this right.EDIT - I think I didn't read your last post clearly and I don't know what you asking for. But the slit experiment should break up the two wavelengths at certain intervals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment

Last edited:
you mean that is we can't make wavelength from other wavelengths,so how to add wavelengths

1. What is the purpose of combining laser beams?

The purpose of combining laser beams is to increase the overall power and intensity of the laser beam. This can be beneficial in various applications such as cutting, welding, and scientific research.

2. How do you calculate the optimal wavelength when combining laser beams?

The optimal wavelength for combining laser beams can be calculated using the formula λ = c/ν, where λ is the wavelength in meters, c is the speed of light in meters per second, and ν is the frequency in hertz. It is important to note that the optimal wavelength may vary depending on the specific application and desired outcome.

3. What factors should be considered when determining the optimal wavelength for combining laser beams?

When determining the optimal wavelength for combining laser beams, factors such as the type of laser, the materials being used, and the desired outcome should be taken into consideration. Additionally, the absorption and scattering properties of the materials should also be considered.

4. Are there any limitations or challenges when combining laser beams?

Yes, there are limitations and challenges when combining laser beams. The most common limitation is the availability of lasers with the desired wavelength. Additionally, the alignment and stability of the lasers can also pose challenges when combining multiple beams.

5. What are some expert tips for effectively combining laser beams?

Some expert tips for effectively combining laser beams include using lasers with similar wavelengths, ensuring proper alignment and stability, and using high-quality optics and mirrors. It is also important to consider the power and intensity of each individual laser beam before combining them to avoid any potential damage or interference.