1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Completely Lost in this Physics Problem Sinusoidal transverse waves

1. May 20, 2008 #1
    A sinusoidal wave is traveling on a string with speed 10.00 cm/s. The displacement of the particles of the string at x = 20 cm is found to vary with time according to the equation y = (5.0 cm) sin[16.0 - (8.0 s-1)t]. The linear density of the string is 7.0 g/cm.
    (a) What is the frequency of the wave?
    s-1
    (b) What is the wavelength of the wave?
    cm

(c) Give the general equation giving the transverse displacement of the particles of the string as a function of position and time.
    y(x,t) = (5.0 cm) sin[( cm-1)x - ( s-1)t]

(d) Calculate the tension in the string.

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2008 #2
    please show us some work you have done on this problem. We can't help you unless you've shown some efforts from your side.

[i'm surprised there is no template made already for this]

4. May 20, 2008 #3
    i am completely lost i dont know where to start..so some direction would be nice.

5. May 20, 2008 #4
    i know f=1/T..but how do you find T from this problem?

6. May 21, 2008 #5
    T is the period, ie the time of one oscillation. Now look at your equation, it resembles a wave through the sine function and the question then is: by what amount do you have to change the time "t" to make the sine go around one time?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?