Complex analysis and vector fields

In summary: If it's an annulus, then the potential is a function of only the two coordinates outside the annulus. If it's a disc, then the potential is a function of all three coordinates.
Coffee_
I'm going to ask a very general question where I just would want to hear different possible methods that can be thought of in this kind of problem. I am trying to solve a very specific problem with this but I won't talk about that because I don't want someone to give me the answer but ideas for methods in these kinds of problems.

Consider a vector field ##\vec{F}=(F_x,F_y)## for which holds ##\nabla \times \vec{F} = 0 ##.

I have to prove that ##F_x=\sum\limits_{m=-\infty}^\infty f(m,x,y)## where ##f## is a function of ##x## and ##y## but also depends on the value of the index. The same for ##F_y(x,y)=\sum\limits_{m=-\infty}^\infty g(m,x,y)##.

I am supposed to prove that ##F_x=G(x,y)## and ##F_y=H(x,y)## where ##G## and ##H## are pretty alright looking functions.

I know that someone from my class did a very simple proof of this using complex analysis.

QUESTION: What kind of different complex analysis techniques can be thought of to use in this case? I know the answers can range really broadly but this is physics undergrad level so it can't be too far fetched.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is ##F_x##? Is it partial derivative of a scalar function ##F## or simply ##x##-coordinate of the vector field ##\vec F##?

Hawkeye18 said:
What is ##F_x##? Is it partial derivative of a scalar function ##F## or simply ##x##-coordinate of the vector field ##\vec F##?

It's the x-coordinate. I forgot that this notation was often used for the derivative in math.

Do you also assume that your field is divergence free (i.e. that ##\nabla\cdot \vec F =0##)? Then ##F_x - i F_y## satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann equations and you can use complex analysis. But with your assumptions you can only say that your field has a potential, i.e. it is a gradient of a scalar field.

Hawkeye18 said:
Do you also assume that your field is divergence free (i.e. that ##\nabla\cdot \vec F =0##)? Then ##F_x - i F_y## satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann equations and you can use complex analysis. But with your assumptions you can only say that your field has a potential, i.e. it is a gradient of a scalar field.

Sorry for the late answer. Yes it satisfies zero-divergence, my bad for not mentioning it.

Then as I said, the function ##\phi= F_x -i F_y## satisfies the Cauchy Riemann equations, i.e. ##\phi## is an analytic function. And analytic functions admit power series representations.

Where your field is defined? Is it a disc or an annulus?

1. What is complex analysis and how is it different from real analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of complex numbers. It is different from real analysis in that it focuses on the properties and behavior of functions in the complex plane, rather than just the real number line.

2. What are the key concepts in complex analysis?

Some key concepts in complex analysis include analytic functions, Cauchy-Riemann equations, contour integration, and the Cauchy integral theorem.

3. What is a vector field and how is it used in complex analysis?

A vector field is a mathematical function that assigns a vector to each point in a given space. In complex analysis, vector fields are used to represent complex-valued functions and to visualize the behavior of these functions in the complex plane.

4. How do vector fields relate to the concept of holomorphic functions?

Vector fields are closely related to the concept of holomorphic functions, which are complex-valued functions that are differentiable at every point in their domain. Vector fields can be used to represent the derivative of a holomorphic function, and they also play a key role in understanding the geometry of holomorphic functions.

5. What are some real-world applications of complex analysis and vector fields?

Complex analysis and vector fields have numerous applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. Some examples include the study of fluid flow, electromagnetic fields, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in image processing, signal analysis, and computer graphics.