Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex analysis and vector fields

1. Apr 22, 2015 #1
    I'm going to ask a very general question where I just would want to hear different possible methods that can be thought of in this kind of problem. I am trying to solve a very specific problem with this but I won't talk about that because I don't want someone to give me the answer but ideas for methods in these kinds of problems.

Consider a vector field ##\vec{F}=(F_x,F_y)## for which holds ##\nabla \times \vec{F} = 0 ##.

I have to prove that ##F_x=\sum\limits_{m=-\infty}^\infty f(m,x,y)## where ##f## is a function of ##x## and ##y## but also depends on the value of the index. The same for ##F_y(x,y)=\sum\limits_{m=-\infty}^\infty g(m,x,y)##.

I am supposed to prove that ##F_x=G(x,y)## and ##F_y=H(x,y)## where ##G## and ##H## are pretty alright looking functions.

I know that someone from my class did a very simple proof of this using complex analysis.

QUESTION: What kind of different complex analysis techniques can be thought of to use in this case? I know the answers can range really broadly but this is physics undergrad level so it can't be too far fetched.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2015 #2
    What is ##F_x##? Is it partial derivative of a scalar function ##F## or simply ##x##-coordinate of the vector field ##\vec F##?

4. Apr 23, 2015 #3
    It's the x-coordinate. I forgot that this notation was often used for the derivative in math.

5. Apr 23, 2015 #4
    Do you also assume that your field is divergence free (i.e. that ##\nabla\cdot \vec F =0##)? Then ##F_x - i F_y## satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann equations and you can use complex analysis. But with your assumptions you can only say that your field has a potential, i.e. it is a gradient of a scalar field.

6. Apr 24, 2015 #5
    Sorry for the late answer. Yes it satisfies zero-divergence, my bad for not mentioning it.

7. Apr 24, 2015 #6
    Then as I said, the function ##\phi= F_x -i F_y## satisfies the Cauchy Riemann equations, i.e. ##\phi## is an analytic function. And analytic functions admit power series representations.

Where your field is defined? Is it a disc or an annulus?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook