Complex Analysis: Holomorphic functions

In summary, a holomorphic function is another term for an analytic function, meaning it is differentiable on an open set in the plane. It is important to note that being differentiable at one point does not make a function analytic. To show that a function is holomorphic, the Cauchy-Riemann equations must be satisfied at that point. This means the function's partial derivatives must be continuous and satisfy specific conditions. A simple example of a holomorphic function is u = ln(sqrt(x^2+y^2)) and v = arctan(y/x).
Potage11
So my teacher explained what holomorphic functions were today. But it did not make much sense.
As I am attempting to do my homework, I realized that I still don't really know what a Holomorphic function is, let alone how to show that one is.

The questions looks like this:
show that f(z)=u(z)+iv(z) is holomorphic or not;
where u and v are given different values throughout the problem.

I was hoping someone could clarify what a holomorphic function is, and maybe show me a little trick as to how I should go about this problem.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
holomorphic is another word for analytic - which means differentiable on some open set in the plane.

There is a difference between being analytic and being differentiable. For f to be analytic at a point z - it means that there is an open set containing x throughout which the function is differentiable. If you are differentiable ONLY at one point then you are NOT analytic.

f is differentiable at z iff the cauchy reimann equations are satisfied at that point. This is probably the easiest way to show a function is holomorphic.

a holomorphic function C-->C is a real differentiable function R^2-->R^2 whose derivative as a linear map is actually complex linear. this means the matrix of partials has the same entry in both diagonal entries and the off diagonal entries are negatives of each other.

i.e. to be holomorphic it suffices for a function u+iv to have continuous partials, which satisfy du/dx = dv/dy and du/dy = -dv/dx (Cauchy - Riemann equations).

e.g. u = ln(sqrt(x^2+y^2)), and v = arctan(y/x).i hope these work.

1. What is a holomorphic function?

A holomorphic function is a complex-valued function that is defined and differentiable on an open subset of the complex plane. It is also known as an analytic function, as it can be expressed as a power series. A holomorphic function is often described as being "smooth" or "well-behaved" in the complex plane.

2. What is the difference between a holomorphic function and a complex function?

A complex function is a function that maps complex numbers to complex numbers, meaning both the input and output are complex numbers. On the other hand, a holomorphic function is a type of complex function that is defined and differentiable on an open subset of the complex plane. Therefore, all holomorphic functions are complex functions, but not all complex functions are holomorphic.

3. How are holomorphic functions related to the Cauchy-Riemann equations?

The Cauchy-Riemann equations are a set of necessary and sufficient conditions for a complex-valued function to be holomorphic. They state that the partial derivatives of the function with respect to its real and imaginary parts must satisfy certain equations. If a function satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann equations, it is said to be analytic and therefore holomorphic.

4. What is the significance of the Cauchy Integral Theorem in complex analysis?

The Cauchy Integral Theorem is a fundamental result in complex analysis that states that the integral of a holomorphic function around a closed contour is equal to 0. This theorem has many important consequences, including the Cauchy Integral Formula, which allows for the calculation of complex integrals using the values of a holomorphic function inside a contour.

5. Can a holomorphic function have a singularity?

Yes, a holomorphic function can have a singularity, which is a point where the function is not defined or is not differentiable. These points may include poles, essential singularities, or removable singularities. However, holomorphic functions are generally considered to be "well-behaved" and do not have singularities in their domain.