Complex Analysis: Integration

In summary, the integral can be evaluated by using the substitution \cos\theta = \frac{1}{2}(e^{i\theta} + e^{-i\theta}) and converting it to a complex integral over the unit circle. However, the integral cannot be simplified further until the location of the poles is determined by solving z-r^2z^2-r+r^2=0 for z. There may also be errors in the last four steps of the solution that need to be checked.
Shay10825

Homework Statement

Evaluate the following integral for 0<r<1 by writing [tex]\cos\theta = \frac{1}{2}(e^{i\theta} + e^{-i\theta})[/tex] reducing the given integral to a complex integral over the unit circle.

[tex]Evaluate: \displaystyle{\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{1}{1-2r\cos\theta + r^2}\,d\theta}[/tex]

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\displaystyle\cos\theta = \frac{1}{2}(e^{i\theta} + e^{-i\theta})}[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle{z=e^{i\theta}}[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle{ \cos t= \frac{1}{2}(z+ \frac{1}{z})}[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle{\frac{dz}{iz}= dt}[/tex]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[tex]\displaystyle{\frac{1}{2\pi}\oint \frac{1}{1-2r[\frac{1}{2}(z+\frac{1}{z})]+r^2}\,\frac{dz}{iz}}[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle{\frac{1}{2\pi}\oint \frac{1}{z-2rz[\frac{1}{2}(z+\frac{1}{z})]+r^2}\,\frac{dz}{i}}[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle{\frac{-i}{2\pi}\oint \frac{1}{z-2rz[\frac{1}{2}(z+\frac{1}{z})]+r^2}\,dz}[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle{\frac{-i}{2\pi}\oint \frac{1}{z-r^2z^2-r+r^2}\,dz}[/tex]

But I get stuck here. What do I do with the "r"? Should I factor it out, and if yes then how?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Shay10825 said:
[tex]\displaystyle{\frac{-i}{2\pi}\oint \frac{1}{z-r^2z^2-r+r^2}\,dz}[/tex]

But I get stuck here. What do I do with the "r"? Should I factor it out, and if yes then how?

Thanks

Leave the "r" where it is, the location of the poles will depend on its value...find those poles by solving the quadratic [itex]z-r^2z^2-r+r^2=0[/itex] for [itex]z[/itex]...

Edit: You've also got a couple of algebra errors, double check your last 4 steps

Last edited:

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is the branch of mathematics that deals with studying functions of complex numbers. It involves the application of calculus and algebra to analyze and understand the behavior of these functions.

2. What is integration in complex analysis?

In complex analysis, integration is the process of finding the area under a curve in the complex plane. It involves evaluating complex integrals, which are similar to ordinary integrals in calculus but with complex numbers as the limits and integrands.

3. What is the importance of integration in complex analysis?

Integration in complex analysis is important because it allows us to calculate the values of complex functions and understand their behavior. It also plays a crucial role in solving differential equations and in many applications, such as in physics, engineering, and signal processing.

4. What are some common techniques used in complex analysis integration?

Some common techniques used in complex analysis integration include the Cauchy integral theorem, Cauchy's integral formula, and the residue theorem. Other techniques include contour integration, substitution, and partial fractions.

5. How is complex analysis integration different from integration in real analysis?

Complex analysis integration is different from integration in real analysis in several ways. Firstly, the integrand and limits in complex integrals involve complex numbers rather than real numbers. Additionally, the methods and techniques used in complex analysis integration are specific to complex functions and cannot be directly applied to real functions.