How Do You Solve Part (b) for a Bounded |f''(z)| in a Maclaurin Series Problem?

In summary, we are given that f is entire and f(0)=f'(0)=f''(0)=1. For part (a), the first three terms of the Maclaurin series for f(z) are 1+z+(z^2)/2!. For part (b), Liouville's theorem is applied to f'' and it is found that f'' is constant. This implies that the power series representation for f is the summation of z^j from j=0 to j=2, with coefficients f^j(0)/j!.
bballife1508
Suppose that f is entire,= and that f(0)=f'(0)=f''(0)=1

(a) Write the first three terms of the Maclaurin series for f(z)

(b) Suppose also that |f''(z)| is bounded. Find a formula for f(z).

I believe (a) is just 1+z+(z^2)/2!

however (b) I do not know where to begin.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: the problem has the words entire and bounded. This means a particular theorem in complex analysis.

is (a) correct?

for (b) is it Liouville's theorem?

a) looks fine, but perhaps you could explain the formula you used

Yes, that's the correct theorem, now what does it imply about the power series representation for f?

doesn't f just have to be constant?

Careful here, we're not applying liouville to f. An easy way to see that f does not have to be constant is to look at what you wrote down for part a).

you're losing me here, i understand that it shouldn't be constant, but how do I derive a formula other than just writing out the terms

Okay, which function are we applying Liouville to (this part should be easy)? If that function is constant, this tells us a lot about the power series representation for f.

Also you haven't answered my question above about part a), namely the formula you're using (I wouldn't ask you to write it if it wasn't important to this entire problem).

the formula I used was f(z0)+f'(z0)(z-z0)+f''(z0)(z-z0)^2/2!+... but where z0=0 since its the maclaurin series

Liouville is being applied to f'' I believe so is the formula of f just the summation of z^j?

Yes, good. In short, the coefficients of the power series (centered at 0, or Maclaurin) representation for f are

[tex]\frac{f^{(n)} (0)}{n!}[/tex]

However, f shouldn't just be the summation of the z^j. So Liouville applied to f'' says f'' is constant right? So, what is [itex]f''', f^{(4)}, f^{(5)}[/itex] and so on?

they should all be 0 so its the summation of z^j from j=0 to j=2?

You forgot about the coefficients (look at the formula in post #10, and then compare your answer to part a)).

so f^j(z)/j!*z^j

What is a Maclaurin series in complex analysis?

A Maclaurin series is a type of power series expansion that is used to approximate a complicated function with a polynomial. It is centered around the point x = 0 and is a special case of the more general Taylor series. In complex analysis, it is often used to represent analytic functions in the complex plane.

What is the formula for a Maclaurin series?

The formula for a Maclaurin series is given by f(x) = f(0) + f'(0)x + (1/2!)f''(0)x^2 + (1/3!)f'''(0)x^3 + ... + (1/n!)f^(n)(0)x^n, where f^(n) denotes the nth derivative of the function at x = 0.

How do you find the coefficients of a Maclaurin series?

To find the coefficients of a Maclaurin series, you can use the formula f^(n)(0)/n!, where f^(n) is the nth derivative of the function at x = 0. Alternatively, you can use the Cauchy Integral Formula to calculate the coefficients.

What is the convergence of a Maclaurin series?

The convergence of a Maclaurin series depends on the function it is approximating. If the function is analytic within a certain radius of convergence, then the Maclaurin series will converge within that radius. However, if the function has a singularity at the center of the series, then the series will not converge at that point.

How can I use a Maclaurin series to approximate a function?

To approximate a function using a Maclaurin series, you can simply plug in values for x into the series and calculate the corresponding values for f(x). The more terms you include in the series, the more accurate your approximation will be. However, it is important to keep in mind the convergence of the series and make sure you are using it within its radius of convergence.