Complex analysis problem

In summary, the function f(x, y) = 3x^2 + 6xyi + C(y) solves the complex problem f:C \rightarrow C that satisfies the equation \frac{df}{dx} = 6x + 6iy and has a second derivative of C''(y) = -6.
Mulz
Homework Statement
Find a function that solves the complex problem ## f:C \rightarrow C## that solves ##\frac{df}{dx} = 6x + 6iy##
Relevant Equations
##\Delta u = Re(f) = \frac{df^2}{dx^2} + \frac{df^2}{dy^2}##
Mentor note: Edited to fix LaTeX problems
##f:C \rightarrow C## that solves ##\frac{df}{dx} = 6x + 6iy##

## f(x,y) = 3x^2 + 6xyi + C(y) = (3x^2 + C(y)) + i(6xy) ##

## \Delta u = 0 \rightarrow 6 + C''(y) = 0 \rightarrow C(y) =5 \frac{5}{5}##

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dragounat said:
Homework Statement:: Find a function that solves the complex problem ## f:C \rightarrow C## that solves ##\frac{df}{dx} = 6x + 6iy##
Relevant Equations:: ##\Delta u = Re(f) = \frac{df^2}{dx^2} + \frac{df^2}{dy^2}##

Mentor note: Edited to fix LaTeX problems
##f:C \rightarrow C## that solves ##\frac{df}{dx} = 6x + 6iy##

## f(x,y) = 3x^2 + 6xyi + C(y) = (3x^2 + C(y)) + i(6xy) ##

## \Delta u = 0 \rightarrow 6 + C''(y) = 0 \rightarrow C(y) =5 \frac{5}{5}##
Note: I fixed all of your LaTeX script.

Your solution for f(x, y) looks fine to me, but I get something different for C(y).

If ##f(x, y) = 3x^2 + 6xyi + C(y)##, then
##f_x = 6x + 6yi## and ##f_y = 6xi + C'(y)##

##\Delta u = 0 \Rightarrow 6 + C''(y) = 0 \Rightarrow C''(y) = -6##
Solve the last equation above to find C(y).

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers and their functions. It involves the use of techniques and methods from calculus and algebra to analyze and understand the properties of complex functions.

2. What are some applications of complex analysis?

Complex analysis has numerous applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. Some examples include the study of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in signal processing, control theory, and image processing.

3. What are the basic concepts in complex analysis?

The basic concepts in complex analysis include complex numbers, complex functions, analyticity, and contour integration. Other important concepts include the Cauchy-Riemann equations, the Cauchy integral theorem, and the residue theorem.

4. How is complex analysis different from real analysis?

Complex analysis deals with functions of complex variables, while real analysis deals with functions of real variables. In complex analysis, functions are differentiated and integrated in a similar way to real analysis, but with the added complexity of dealing with complex numbers.

5. What are some common techniques used in solving complex analysis problems?

Some common techniques used in solving complex analysis problems include Cauchy's integral formula, the Cauchy integral theorem, and the residue theorem. Other techniques include power series, Laurent series, and the method of residues.