Analyzing Complex Functions with a Given Inequality - Homework Problem

In summary: No, the theorem only applies to z_0. You would need to find a different way to apply it to the entire complex plane.
squaremeplz

Homework Statement

suppose that f(z) is an analytic function on all of C, and suppose that, for all z in C, we have

[tex] |f(z)| <= sqrt{|z|} [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm unsure of how to start the proof. any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you supposed to prove? Your problem statement only lists the premises, and not the conclusion that you are meant to deduce.

sorry, we are supposed to prove that f(z) must be a constant

There may be an easier way to do this, but I would start by writing [itex]z=x+iy[/itex] and [itex]f(z)=u(x,y)+iv(x,y)[/itex] and then seeing what restrictions the condition [itex]|f(z)|\leq\sqrt{|z|}[/itex] places on [itex]u(x,y)[/itex] and [itex]v(x,y)[/itex].

my prof told us to look at the liouville theorem to do this proof

i looked in my book and found this paragraph

let f(z) be analytic inside and on a circle C of radius R centered about z_0. If |f(z)| <= M

[tex] |f^n(z_o)| <= n! \frac {M}{R^n} [/tex]

"This innocuous looking theorem actually places rather severe restrictions on the behaviour of analytic functions. Suppose, for instance, that f(z) is analytic and bounded by some number M over the whole plane. Then the conditions of the theorem hold for any z_o and for any R. Taking n = 1 in the above equations and letting R -> infinity, we counclude that f' vanishes everywhere; i.e., f must be constant"

So, how can I apply this theorem over the whole complex plane instead of a circle centered at z_o?

could I say that sqrt(|z|) = M for all z in C

[tex] |f^n(z)| <= n! \frac {\sqrt{|z|}}{R^n} [/tex]

and thus have the proof done by the argument in the above paragraph?

Last edited:

What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers, functions, and their properties. It is used to solve problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

What is a "complex analysis prof"?

A "complex analysis prof" refers to a professor who specializes in teaching and researching complex analysis. They have expertise in this field and can provide guidance and instruction to students interested in learning more about complex analysis.

What are the applications of complex analysis?

Complex analysis has many applications in science, engineering, and technology. It is used to solve problems in electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, quantum mechanics, signal processing, and more. It is also used in the development of computer algorithms and simulations.

What are some key concepts in complex analysis?

Some key concepts in complex analysis include complex numbers, analytic functions, contour integration, Cauchy's integral theorem, and the Cauchy-Riemann equations. These concepts are essential for understanding the properties and behaviors of complex functions.

What are some resources for learning complex analysis?

There are many resources available for learning complex analysis, including textbooks, online courses, video lectures, and study guides. It is also helpful to seek guidance from a complex analysis professor or join a study group to practice and discuss concepts with peers.