What is the Theorem for Differentiability in Advanced Calculus?

In summary, the conversation discusses a research project in which the participants were asked to find a theorem involving partial derivatives of u and v. The conversation also touches on the difference in differentiability between R^2 and C, and the discovery of a theorem that relates u and v in the complex numbers. This theorem does not have a distinct name and is from advanced calculus.
nateHI

Homework Statement

This isn't a standard homework problem. We were asked to do research and to find a theorem of the form:
If something about the partial derivatives of u and v is true then the implication is ##D(u,v)## at ##(x_0,y_0)## exists from ##R^2## to ##R^2##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done a lot of reading on the the difference in differentiability between ##R^2## and ##\mathbb{C}## but haven't been lucky enough to stumble upon an exact theorem. Anyway, a push in the right direction would save me a lot of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A little hint: In ℝ2 , you may calculate the partial derivatives [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}, \frac{\partial u}{\partial y}, \frac{\partial v}{\partial x}, \frac{\partial v}{\partial y} [/itex] and you do not expect any obvious relation between them. On the other hand, in ℂ, you expect the derivative of f(z) to be just a function of z and nothing else.
So, if you put z = x + iy and f(z) = u(z) + iv(z), this implies a relation between u and v...

I found it thanks! It's kind of a long theorem but if you're interested to know what it is let me know and I'll type. It doesn't have a distinct name that I can just reference for you.

Wouldn't they be called the Cauchy-Riemann equations ?

BvU said:
Wouldn't they be called the Cauchy-Riemann equations ?
That's what I thought at first and I suppose the class will get to Cauchy-Riemann eventually. But the instructor stressed the fact that we were not working in the complex numbers for this problem. The Theorem he was looking for is from Advanced calculus. He probably wants to demonstrate the advantages of ##\mathbb{C}##.

1. What is Complex Analysis?

Complex Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex variables. It involves the analysis of complex numbers, which are numbers that include both real and imaginary components. Complex Analysis is used to study the behavior and properties of complex functions, as well as to solve problems in various fields including physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are some applications of Complex Analysis?

Complex Analysis has numerous applications in various fields, including electrical engineering, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in signal processing, image processing, and cryptography. In addition, Complex Analysis is essential for understanding the behavior of systems with a large number of interacting components, such as in statistical mechanics and the study of networks.

3. How is Complex Analysis different from Real Analysis?

Complex Analysis and Real Analysis are both branches of mathematics that deal with the study of functions, but they differ in their focus. Real Analysis deals with functions of real numbers, while Complex Analysis deals with functions of complex numbers. Additionally, Complex Analysis involves the use of techniques such as contour integration and power series, which are not present in Real Analysis.

4. What are some current research topics in Complex Analysis?

Some current research topics in Complex Analysis include the study of special functions, such as the Riemann zeta function and the Gamma function, as well as the development of new techniques for solving complex differential equations. Other areas of research include the study of complex dynamics, the behavior of complex functions under iteration, and the application of Complex Analysis to problems in number theory and geometry.

5. How does Complex Analysis contribute to other fields of study?

Complex Analysis is an essential tool in many fields of study, including physics, engineering, and economics. It provides a powerful framework for understanding and solving problems involving complex systems and functions. In addition, the techniques and concepts developed in Complex Analysis have also had a significant impact on other branches of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry and topology.