Solving Complex Analysis: Find z for z^(1+4i) = i

In summary, the possible values of Log(z) are given by $\log z=\dfrac{\left(\frac{\pi}2+2n\pi\right)i}{1+4i},\ n\in[-8,8],$ and the corresponding values of z are given by $z=\exp\left(\dfrac{\left(\frac{\pi}2+2n\pi\right)i}{1+4i}\right),\ n\in[-8,8].$ These values lie in the domain D= C \ {x in R: x<=0}.
Tranquillity
Hello guys!

I have to find for z in D= C \ {x in R: x<=0} with z^(1+4i) = i

a) all possible values of Log(z)
b)all possible values of z.Now my approach is:

Write z^(1+4i) = exp((1+4i) * Logz) = i = exp(i*pi/2)

which holds iff (1+4i) * Logz = i*pi/2 + i*k*2*pi where k in Z.After a lot of simplifications I find that Logz= i*pi*(1+4k) / 34 + (4*pi*(1+4k) / 34), k in Z.

So z = exp(Logz) = e^(i*pi*(1+4k)/34) * e^(4*pi*(1+4k)/34), k in ZNow to show that all these roots are in D= C \ {x in R: x<=0} I have to show that Argz is in (-pi, 0) as we have learned in lectures.

But the problem is that the term e^(i*pi*(1+4k)/34) has a term k involved and setting k=-1, 0, 1 yields three different principal arguments (-3*pi/34, pi/34 and 5*pi/34 respectively)

I think the exponential involving the imaginary unit i should not involve a k, but I did many times my calculations and cannot find actually which is the problem.Could please anyone help me?Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
$z^{1+4i}=i=e^{\left(\frac{\pi}2+2n\pi\right)i},\ n\in\mathbb Z$

$(1+4i)\log z=\left(\dfrac{\pi}2+2n\pi\right)i,\ n\in\mathbb Z$

$\log z=\dfrac{\left(\frac{\pi}2+2n\pi\right)i}{1+4i},\ n\in\mathbb Z$

$z=\exp\left(\dfrac{\left(\frac{\pi}2+2n\pi\right)i}{1+4i}\right),\ n\in\mathbb Z$

We can also use the definition of complex logarithmic function :

\(\displaystyle \log(z) = \ln(|z|) + i\text{arg}(z)
\)

\(\displaystyle \log(i) = \ln(1) + i\left(\frac{\pi}{2}+2n\pi \right)\)

\(\displaystyle \log(i) = i\left(\frac{\pi}{2}+2n\pi \right)\)

Guys thanks for your replies but this was not what I was asking exactly!

Last edited:
Tranquillity said:

After a lot of simplifications I find that $\log z= i\pi(1+4k) / 34 + 4\pi(1+4k) / 34$, $k \in Z$.

Now to show that all these roots are in D= C \ {x in R: x<=0} I have to show that Argz is in (-pi, 0) as we have learned in lectures.
You want to find whether $z$ is on the negative real axis, or equivalently whether the imaginary part of $\log z$ is an odd multiple of $\pi.$ So you want to see whether $(1+4k)/34$ can ever be an odd integer. But in fact it can never be an integer at all, because the numerator is odd and the denominator is even. So the answer should be that $k$ can be any integer, and none of the solutions lie on the negative real axis.

Basically I might have done something wrong!

I actually managed to solve the exercise by finding Logz and then had to say that my solution requires Im(Logz)=Argz to be in (-pi,pi)!

So this will restrict the values of k!

Then z=exp(...) in the cut plane Do, is valid for k in [-8,8]!

And the cut plane Do contain real numbers, so I didn't have to restrict my values to be integers,
just the Im(Logz) to be between (-pi,pi)!

Thanks again for everything :)

Tranquillity said:
I actually managed to solve the exercise by finding Logz and then had to say that my solution requires Im(Logz)=Argz to be in (-pi,pi)!

So this will restrict the values of k!

Then z=exp(...) in the cut plane Do, is valid for k in [-8,8]!

And the cut plane Do contain real numbers, so I didn't have to restrict my values to be integers,
just the Im(Logz) to be between (-pi,pi)!
I should have realized that you were using the notation Log (with a capital L) to mean the principal value of the log. That does indeed restrict the value of $k$ to lie in the range $[-8,8].$

Related to Solving Complex Analysis: Find z for z^(1+4i) = i

What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex numbers. It includes topics such as complex differentiation, integration, and series.

What does the equation z^(1+4i) = i mean?

The equation z^(1+4i) = i means that we are looking for a complex number, z, that when raised to the power of 1+4i, will result in the complex number i.

How do I solve this equation?

To solve this equation, we can use the fact that any complex number can be written in polar form as z = re^(iθ). We can then substitute this expression for z into the original equation and solve for r and θ using algebraic manipulations.

Are there any special techniques for solving this type of equation?

Yes, there are several techniques that can be used to solve complex analysis equations, such as using logarithms, trigonometric identities, and the Cauchy-Riemann equations. It is important to have a strong understanding of complex numbers and their properties in order to effectively solve these types of equations.

What are some real-world applications of complex analysis?

Complex analysis has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields where complex numbers are used to model real-world phenomena. For example, it is used in electrical engineering to study AC circuits and in fluid dynamics to analyze the flow of fluids.