How Can I Solve This Complex Integral Using Trigonometry or Complex Analysis?

In summary, the student tried to use the residues theorem but ended up with an ugly expression. After some algebra, they found that A=B=-1/\sqrt{2} and their final result became 2\pi(\sqrt{2}-1).
asi123

Homework Statement

Hey guys.
I have this integral, I tried to use trigo, tried to use the complex expression but nothing worked, can I please have some help?

Thanks a lot.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 315
Physics news on Phys.org
The complex Residues method should work fine; why don't you show us what you tried for that method...

gabbagabbahey said:
The complex Residues method should work fine; why don't you show us what you tried for that method...

Ok, so I tried to use the residues theorem.
I did the substitute but ended up with that really ugly expression, should I use the residues theorem on it?

Attachments

• scan0015.jpg
    scan0015.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 339
I won't be able to read your attempt until admin approves your attachment. You can save time by uploading your file to imageshack.us and posting a link to it instead.

gabbagabbahey said:
I won't be able to read your attempt until admin approves your attachment. You can save time by uploading your file to imageshack.us and posting a link to it instead.

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1059/scan0015p.jpg

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so far so good...now find the 4 roots of the denominator in order to find the poles...which of those poles lies within your contour?

To make your calculations easier, you should note that if [itex]|z^2|>1[/itex] then so is [itex]|z|[/itex]; and [itex]3+2\sqrt{2}>1[/itex].

Also note that [tex]\sqrt{3-2\sqrt{2}}=\sqrt{2}-1[/tex]

gabbagabbahey said:
To make your calculations easier, you should note that if [itex]|z^2|>1[/itex] then so is [itex]|z|[/itex]; and [itex]3+2\sqrt{2}>1[/itex].

Also note that [tex]\sqrt{3-2\sqrt{2}}=\sqrt{2}-1[/tex]

Oh, I've only now noticed your calculations tips :confused:

Anyway, this is what I did:

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/4732/scan0016y.jpg

I've to warn you, The numbers are awful.

Does it seems right?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
asi123 said:
I've to warn you, The numbers are awful.

They sure are! :biggrin:

Luckily, they're also correct:approve:...you can simplify them though...after a little algebra you should find that [itex]A=B=\frac{-1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex] and so your final result becomes [itex]2\pi(\sqrt{2}-1)[/itex]

gabbagabbahey said:
They sure are! :biggrin:

Luckily, they're also correct:approve:...you can simplify them though...after a little algebra you should find that [itex]A=B=\frac{-1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex] and so your final result becomes [itex]2\pi(\sqrt{2}-1)[/itex]

Thanks a lot :smile:

1. What is Complex Analysis?

Complex Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers and their properties. It involves the analysis of functions that are defined on the complex plane and the use of techniques such as differentiation, integration, and power series to understand their behavior.

2. What topics are typically covered in a Complex Analysis course?

Some common topics covered in a Complex Analysis course include complex numbers, complex functions, analytic functions, Cauchy-Riemann equations, contour integration, power series, residues, and conformal mapping.

3. What are some applications of Complex Analysis?

Complex Analysis has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. Some specific applications include electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, signal processing, and computational methods.

4. What are some common challenges students face in understanding Complex Analysis?

One of the main challenges students face in understanding Complex Analysis is the abstract nature of the subject. It involves concepts and techniques that are not typically encountered in other branches of mathematics. The use of complex numbers and the geometric interpretation of functions can also be challenging for some students.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Complex Analysis?

To improve your understanding of Complex Analysis, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus, especially in the topics of limits, derivatives, and integrals. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and to seek help from tutors or professors when needed. Additionally, visual aids such as diagrams and animations can be useful in understanding complex concepts.