Sketching Nyquist Plots for Complex Arguments

• Thread starter ajtgraves
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the argument for a Nyquist plot of the complex function (jω-1)/(jω+1). The individual believes that the correct argument should be -2arctan(ω), but this does not align with the expected behavior of the Nyquist plot for ω approaching 0 and infinity. After receiving help and clarification, it is determined that the formula for the argument must be adjusted when the real part of the complex number is negative. The conversation also references the use of complex numbers and provides a link for further clarification.
ajtgraves
I'm trying to sketch the nyquist plot of
$$\frac{j\omega-1}{j\omega+1}$$
but can't seem to calculate the argument correctly. I think it should be $$\arctan(-\omega) - \arctan(\omega) = -2\arctan(\omega)$$ but this doesn't give the correct nyquist plot behaviour for $\omega \to 0$ and $\omega \to \infty$ - surely $-2\arctan(\omega)$ implies that $\lim_{x\to 0} = 0^\circ$ and $\lim_{x\to \infty} = -180^\circ$?

Wolfram Alpha disagrees but I can't see where I'm going wrong. Am I making a glaring error somewhere? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You're an electrical engineer, right? So j means the square root of -1?

Assuming it does, I think you are off by 180 degrees. The formula ##\mathrm{arg}(x + yj) = \arctan(y/x)## is valid when ##x > 0##, but if the real part of ##x + yj## is negative, as it is in the numerator, you need to adjust for the fact that arctan only returns angles in ##(-\pi/2, \pi/2)## by using ##\mathrm{arg}(x + yj) = \pi + \arctan(y/x)##.

What is a Nyquist plot?

A Nyquist plot is a graphical representation of the frequency response of a system. It is used to analyze the stability of a system by plotting the complex arguments of the system's transfer function.

What is the purpose of sketching Nyquist plots for complex arguments?

The purpose of sketching Nyquist plots for complex arguments is to analyze the stability of a system and determine the presence of any unstable poles or zeros in the system's transfer function. It is also used to design control systems and evaluate their performance.

How are Nyquist plots different from Bode plots?

Nyquist plots and Bode plots are both graphical representations of a system's frequency response. However, Nyquist plots plot the complex arguments of the transfer function, while Bode plots plot the magnitude and phase of the transfer function.

What information can be obtained from a Nyquist plot?

A Nyquist plot can provide information about the stability of a system, such as the number of poles and zeros and their location in the complex plane. It can also reveal the frequency response and phase margin of a system.

What are some common mistakes when sketching Nyquist plots?

Some common mistakes when sketching Nyquist plots include not correctly identifying the poles and zeros of the transfer function, not plotting the right range of frequencies, and not correctly representing the phase of the transfer function. It is also important to watch out for plotting errors and not considering the correct direction of rotation when indicating the complex arguments.