1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex arguments

1. May 6, 2014 #1
    I'm trying to sketch the nyquist plot of
    $$\frac{j\omega-1}{j\omega+1}$$
    but can't seem to calculate the argument correctly. I think it should be $$\arctan(-\omega) - \arctan(\omega) = -2\arctan(\omega)$$ but this doesn't give the correct nyquist plot behaviour for $\omega \to 0$ and $\omega \to \infty$ - surely $-2\arctan(\omega)$ implies that $\lim_{x\to 0} = 0^\circ$ and $\lim_{x\to \infty} = -180^\circ$?

Wolfram Alpha disagrees but I can't see where I'm going wrong. Am I making a glaring error somewhere? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2014 #2
    You're an electrical engineer, right? So j means the square root of -1?

Assuming it does, I think you are off by 180 degrees. The formula ##\mathrm{arg}(x + yj) = \arctan(y/x)## is valid when ##x > 0##, but if the real part of ##x + yj## is negative, as it is in the numerator, you need to adjust for the fact that arctan only returns angles in ##(-\pi/2, \pi/2)## by using ##\mathrm{arg}(x + yj) = \pi + \arctan(y/x)##.

4. May 6, 2014 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook