1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex conjugate

1. Jan 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So we are given [itex]\alpha[/itex]exp(i[itex]\varpi[/itex]t) +[itex]\alpha[/itex]*exp(-i[itex]\varpi[/itex]t) and are asked to prove the resulting equation is real.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\alpha[/itex] + [itex]\alpha[/itex]* = 2Re([itex]\alpha[/itex]) and Euler's Identity

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried expanding out the exp's to cosines and isines but couldn't reach the solution.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2013 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

What if you also write ##\alpha = a + i b##, where a and b are both real numbers? Can you do the problem then?

4. Jan 16, 2013 #3
    I figured it out but I didn't do it that way. That seems awfully more tedious than usual.

5. Jan 16, 2013 #4

Mute

Homework Helper

It's more tedious than the quick solution, yes, but it was more along the lines of the approach you had tried to take by expanding the exponentials into sines and cosines, so I opted to guide you along that direction, in case the problem wanted you to show it explicitly.

6. Jan 16, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why are you writing a bar over the omega? If omega is real then it's sort of obviously true. Because you are adding two complex conjugates. If omega isn't real then it's not even true.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook