Is the function f(z) = |z|2 differentiable at z0 = a + bi?

In summary, we are trying to use the equation f'(z0)=\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow0} \frac{f(z0-z)-f(z0)}{z} to show that z0 is not differentiable at a point for the equation f(z) = |z|2. The conversation also mentions trying to use Cauchy Riemann equations and finding that the equation is only differentiable at (x,y) = (0,0). Additionally, it is noted that the Cauchy Riemann equations imply that u and v are each harmonic functions.
AvgStudent
f'(z0)=[itex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{f(z0-z)-f(z0)}{z}[/itex]

Hi, I'm attempting to use the above equation to show where z0 is not differentiable at some point z0 for the equation

f(z) = |z|2

I was wondering how I could go about doing this?
I tried letting z0 = a + bi, and z = x + yi and got [itex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow0,y\rightarrow0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{2ax+2yb-2ab+x^2+y^2}{x+yi}[/itex]

I also tired the Cauchy Riemann Equations and let u(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 v(x,y) = 0
f(x,y) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y)
|x+yi| = [itex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/itex]
So 2x = 0, and -2y = 0.
So the equation is differentiable when (x,y) = (0,0)?
Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
One thing about the Cauchy Riemann equations is that they easily imply that u and v are each harmonic functions...

1. What does it mean for a function to be complex differentiable?

Complex differentiability refers to a function's ability to have a derivative at every point in its domain when considered as a function of complex numbers. This means that the function must satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which relate the partial derivatives of the function's real and imaginary components.

2. Can a function be complex differentiable but not differentiable in the real sense?

Yes, a function can be complex differentiable but not differentiable in the real sense. This is because complex differentiability requires the function to satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which are different from the requirements for real differentiability. A function can be differentiable in the real sense but not complex differentiable if it does not satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann equations.

3. What is the significance of complex differentiability?

Complex differentiability is important because it allows us to extend the concept of differentiability from real numbers to complex numbers. This is useful in many areas of mathematics and physics, such as complex analysis and quantum mechanics.

4. Can a complex differentiable function have a non-zero derivative?

No, a complex differentiable function must have a derivative of zero at every point in its domain. This is because the Cauchy-Riemann equations require the partial derivatives of the function's real and imaginary components to be equal at every point, which means that the derivative must be zero.

5. How can I determine if a function is complex differentiable?

To determine if a function is complex differentiable, you can check if it satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann equations. These equations relate the partial derivatives of the function's real and imaginary components, and if they are satisfied, then the function is complex differentiable. You can also use the definition of complex differentiability, which states that a function must have a derivative at every point in its domain when considered as a function of complex numbers.