1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex eigenvalue proof

1. Apr 16, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose the matrix A with real entries has the complex eigenvalue λ=α+iβ, β does not equal 0. Let Y0 be an eigenvector for λ and write Y0=Y1 +iY2 , where Y1 =(x1, y1) and Y2 =(x2, y2) have real entries. Show that Y1 and Y2 are linearly independent.
    [Hint: Suppose they are not linearly independent. Then (x2, y2)=k(x1, y1[/SUB) for some constant k. Then Y0=(1+ik)Y1. Then use the fact that Y0 is an eigenvector of A and that AY1 contains no imaginary part.

2. Relevant equations
    AY=λY

3. The attempt at a solution
    Honestly, not too sure where to start for this one. I know I should begin by considering the scenario where Y1 and Y2 are not linearly independent, but I do not know where I should begin with this information. Thanks for your help :)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2016 #2

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have ##A Y_0 = \lambda Y_0##, ##\lambda = \alpha +i \beta## and ##Y_0= Y_1+iY_2##.
    Start by expressing ##A Y_0 = \lambda Y_0## in terms of the real numbers ##\alpha, \beta## and the real vectors ##Y_1, Y_2##.

4. Apr 17, 2016 #3
    okay so I would have A(Y1 + iY2)=(α+iβ)(Y1 + iY2)
    and then I suppose I would multiply this out

5. Apr 17, 2016 #4

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, do that. Remember that ##A, Y_1, Y_2, \alpha, \beta## are all real. This will give you two equations (by setting the real and imaginary parts of the resulting equation equal to each other).
    Then assume that ##Y_1, Y_2## are linearly dependent, and see what that gives. At this stage, remember that ##\beta \neq 0##.

(Or you could reverse the order, first assume that ##Y_1, Y_2## are linearly dependent, and then do the multiplication.)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  6. Apr 17, 2016 #5
    okay so the two equations I get (by setting the real and imaginary parts of the resulting equation equal to each other) is:
    AiY2= iβY1 +αiY2 and AY1Y1Y2

but now what from here?

7. Apr 18, 2016 #6

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So you have ##AY_2=\beta Y_1 +\alpha Y_2##, ##AY_1=\alpha Y_1 - \beta Y_2## (*).

You want to prove that ##Y_1, Y_2## are linearly independent.
    Assume that they are linearly dependent: that means that ##\exists k \in \mathbb R, k\neq 0## such that ##Y_1=k Y_2##.
    Plug this in into the equations (*).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted