Find Complex Eigenvalues for 3x3 Matrix with All 9 Numbers at .3 | Homework Help

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the eigenvalues of a 3x3 matrix with all 9 numbers being 0.3. The student initially makes a mistake in calculating the characteristic polynomial but is informed that the three eigenvalues are 0.9, 0, and 0. The conversation then moves on to discussing how to find the complex roots of a cubic equation in general. The final summary is that one of the eigenvalues is 0 because the matrix is not invertible and its row-echelon form shows that the null space is two-dimensional.
maximade

Homework Statement

A 3x3 matrix with all 9 of the numbers being .3
Find all the eigenvalues.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked through it and I ended up with (l=lamda) l^3-.9l^2+.54l-.162=0
With my calculator I found one of the values, which means that there are 2 complex values.
Considering how I have not done this in a while, how do I find the complex roots of this equation?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
You made a mistake calculating the characteristic polynomial. The three eigenvalues for that matrix are 0.9, 0, and 0.

To answer your question about the roots: in general when you have a cubic and one of its roots r, divide the cubic by (x-r) and find the roots of the resulting quadratic.

It should be obvious that one of the eigenvalues is 0 because this matrix is obviously not invertible. In fact, without doing any work at all it should be clear that the "row-echelon form" for this matrix is
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}3 & 3 & 3 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
so that all of R3 is mapped to R1- the null space must be two-dimensional so 0 must be a "double" eigenvalue as vela says.

1. How do I find the complex eigenvalues for a 3x3 matrix?

To find the complex eigenvalues for a 3x3 matrix, you will need to first solve for the determinant of the matrix. Then, you can use the characteristic equation to find the eigenvalues. Finally, plug in the eigenvalues into the original matrix to find the corresponding eigenvectors.

2. Can I use a calculator to find the complex eigenvalues?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find the complex eigenvalues for a 3x3 matrix. Many scientific calculators have built-in functions for solving determinants and characteristic equations. However, it is important to understand the steps involved in finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors manually.

3. What does it mean for a matrix to have complex eigenvalues?

Having complex eigenvalues means that the matrix has at least one complex eigenvector, which is a vector with complex entries. This indicates that the matrix has a more complicated structure and may have non-real solutions to its characteristic equation.

4. Is it possible for a 3x3 matrix to have no complex eigenvalues?

Yes, it is possible for a 3x3 matrix to have no complex eigenvalues. This would mean that all of the eigenvalues are real numbers. This is more common for symmetric matrices, which have real eigenvalues and orthogonal eigenvectors.

5. How do I know if my calculated complex eigenvalues are correct?

You can check the accuracy of your calculated complex eigenvalues by plugging them back into the original matrix and solving for the corresponding eigenvectors. The eigenvectors should satisfy the equation Ax = λx, where A is the original matrix, λ is the eigenvalue, and x is the eigenvector. Additionally, you can use a calculator or software to verify your results.