Solve Complex Equation: 2x + 2iy + ix - y - 1 = 0

In summary, the conversation discussed solving equations for real variables x and y, specifically the equation (1 + i)/(1 - i)^2 + 1/(x + iy) = 1 + i. The expert confirmed that the reduction of the equation to 2x + 2iy + ix - y - 1 = 0 was correct and provided a further simplification. The conversation then moved on to finding the square root of (x + iy)^2 = -3 + 4i, with the expert giving a hint to expand and equate real and imaginary parts. The individual was able to solve the equation with this method.
cscott
Solve the following equations for the real variables x and y.
(b) [tex]\left ( \frac{1 + i}{1 - i} \right )^2 + \frac{1}{x + iy} = 1 + i[/tex]
I reduced this to
[tex]2x + 2iy + ix - y - 1 = 0[/tex]
but I cannot get any further. Have I reduced it correctly?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have reduced it correctly.

Your expression becomes,

[tex](2x-y-1) + i(2y+x) = 0[/tex]

The rhs is zero, so the lhs must be zero. And the only way that can happen is for both the real component and the imaginary component to be equal to zero.

Thanks a lot, I got the answer now.

Your equation is equivalent to

[tex]-1 + \frac{1}{x + iy} = 1 + i[/tex]

so

[tex]\frac {1}{x + iy} = 2 + i[/tex]

or

[tex]x + iy = \frac {1}{2 + i}[/tex]

which, I think, is a little more straightforward.

I've got another:

Find the square root

[tex](x + iy)^2 = -3 + 4i[/tex]

I think I'm supposed to do some hand-waving here, but I would I truly work it out?

Have you learned to express complex numbers in polar form yet?

Tide said:
Have you learned to express complex numbers in polar form yet?

Not yet, no.

Okay. In that case, just expand [itex](x+iy)^2[/itex] then equate real and imaginary parts on the left and right sides of the equation. This gives you two equations and two unknowns (x and y) to solve for. It's fairly straightforward. Let us know what you come up with.

Tide said:
Okay. In that case, just expand [itex](x+iy)^2[/itex] then equate real and imaginary parts on the left and right sides of the equation. This gives you two equations and two unknowns (x and y) to solve for. It's fairly straightforward. Let us know what you come up with.

Doh, why didn't I think of that!? :mad:

Anyway, I got the answer. Thanks!

FAQ: Solve Complex Equation: 2x + 2iy + ix - y - 1 = 0

What is a complex equation?

A complex equation is an equation that contains one or more complex numbers, which are numbers that involve both real and imaginary components. Complex numbers are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

How do you solve a complex equation?

To solve a complex equation, you can use algebraic techniques such as combining like terms and isolating the variable. You can also use the quadratic formula or factoring to solve for the variable.

What is the difference between a real and imaginary solution?

A real solution is a value of the variable that makes the equation true when substituted into the equation. An imaginary solution is a value of the variable that, when substituted into the equation, results in a negative number under the square root sign of the quadratic formula.

Can a complex equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a complex equation can have multiple solutions. This is because a complex equation can have both real and imaginary solutions, and there can be multiple values for these solutions.

What is the significance of the "i" in a complex equation?

The "i" in a complex equation represents the imaginary unit, which is the square root of -1. This allows for the inclusion of imaginary numbers in the equation, which can help solve problems that involve both real and imaginary components.

Back