1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Fourier Series and Phase Spectra

1. Dec 1, 2005 #1
    Please check my solution and I need help on understanding the second part of the question.
    Q:Obtain the complex form of the fourier series of the sawtooth function.
    [tex]f(t) = \frac{2t}{T} \ \ \ 0 < t < 2T\\[/tex]
    So if the period is 2l = 2T then l = T
    [tex]\\ c_n = \frac{1}{2l} \int_{-l}^{l} f(x) e^{in\pi x / l} dx \\
    c_n = \frac{1}{2T} \int_{-T}^{T} \frac{2t}{T} e^{in\pi t / T} dt = \frac{1}{T^2} \int_{-T}^{T} te^{-in\pi t / T} dt \\[/tex]
    Then I used integration by parts.
    [tex]\\ u = t \ \ \ du = dt\ \ \ dv = e^{-in\pit / T} \ \ \ v = -\frac{T}{in \pi }e^{-in\pit / T}\\[/tex]
    And here we go...
    [tex]\\ = \frac{1}{T^2}\left[-t\frac{T}{in\pi }e^{-in\pi t / T}|_{-T}^{T} + \frac{T}{in\pi } \int_{-T}^{T} e^{-in\pi t / T} dt\right]\\[/tex]
    I skip a few steps too much nitty gritty and then I arrive at...
    [tex]\\ \frac{1}{in\pi } \left[ \left(-e^{-in\pi } - e^{in\pi }\right) - \frac{1}{in \pi} \left( e^{-in\pi - e^{in\pi }\right)\right]\\[/tex]
    and since I know:
    [tex]\\ e^{+-iat} = \cos{at} +- i \sin{at} \\{[/tex]
    then it becomes
    [tex]\frac{1}{in\pi } \left[ \left(-\cos{n\pi } - \cos{n\pi }\right) - \frac{1}{in \pi} \left( \cos{n\pi } - \cos{n\pi }\right)\right]\\[/tex]
    and the end result is...
    [tex]c_n = -\frac{2(-1)^n}{in\pi }\\[/tex]
    and the fourier series is...
    [tex]f(t) = \sum_{-\infty}^{infty} -\frac{2(-1)^n}{in\pi } e^{in\pi t / T}[/tex]
    The second part the question, the one I do not understand is it asks to find and plot the discrete amplitude and phase spectra for f(t) above. In general, a complex quantity G(t), can be written [tex] G(t) = ||G(t)||e^{i\phi t}[/tex] where ||G(t)|| is the amplitude and [tex]\phi (t)[/tex] is the phase angle. When these quantities are function of angular frequency, w, the plots resulting from their graphs vs w are called spectra.
    hints: [tex]\omega _0 = \frac{\pi}{T} \ \ \ c_n = ||c_n||e^{i \phi}\\[/tex]
    So what I did was find ||c_n||...
    [tex]||c_n|| = \frac{2}{\pi n} = \frac{2}{T \omega _0 n}}\\[/tex]
    Is this right though? And how do I go about finding the phase angle? and then plotting it vs omega. thanks for any help.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2005 #2
    \frac{1}{in\pi } \left[ (-e^{-in\pi } &- e^{in\pi }) - \frac{1}{in \pi} ( e^{-in\pi} - e^{in\pi })\right]\notag\\
    &\neq \frac{1}{in\pi } \left[ \left(-\cos{n\pi } - \cos{n\pi }\right) - \frac{1}{in \pi}
    ( \cos{n\pi } - \cos{n\pi })\right]
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?