Exploring the Result of a^b with a Real or Complex Number

In summary, exp(x) is a complex function that takes a real number and returns an exponential. It can be represented by e^x, which is the same as the real exponential function. Exponential functions can be used to calculate cosine and sine values, and they can also be used in relation to Euler's formula.
JPC
hey, was wondering what would happen if i do :

a^b
with a : real or complex number
and b : a complex number

like : 2^i

Physics news on Phys.org
The definition:

[tex]a^b = \exp (b \ln a)[/tex]

In general ln is multivalued (actually infinitely valued) so there is no unique answer.

whats exp() ?
i know log() , and ln() but never heard of exp()

exponential
e = 2.718281828

Specifically, [tex]exp(x) = e^x[/tex].

oh ok :

so
2^i = e^ ( i * ln(2))
?

Yup that is perfectly correct. Or if you want it split into real and imaginary parts: [tex]\cos (\ln 2) + i \sin (\ln 2)[/tex]

Gib Z said:
Yup that is perfectly correct. Or if you want it split into real and imaginary parts: [tex]\cos (\ln 2) + i \sin (\ln 2)[/tex]

ok
now that we started working on exp(x) in my class i know a bit more what you are talking about

But how do u pass from e^(i * ln(2) ) to [tex]\cos (\ln 2) + i \sin (\ln 2)[/tex] ?

remember that exp(x) and ln(x) are defined in a more general sense as complex functions.
if a complex number is of the form z=a +ib then
exp(z)=exp(a+ ib)=exp(a)exp(ib) by additivity of exponentials and then using euler's formula: exp(z)=exp(a)(cosb +isin(b))
here the a is real so exp(a) is evaluating using the real definition.

The complex definitions of the trancesendental functions extend that of it's real analogue.

JPC: if you learning about the real exponential function for the first time you probably won't encounter euler's formula until later in the course - it's an application of power series.

JPC, it seems my assumptions on your maths education are wrong, in Australia for some reason we do complex numbers after Exponential functions, forgive the pun but here they are seen as, well, more complex. Anyway, You obviously don't need to know what I say from here, so you can either choose to ignore my post completely or read more on what I say next: There is a famous relation that Euler derived through Taylor Series expansions that told him that [tex]e^{ix} = \cos x + i \sin x[/tex]. I Merely used that identity straight off.

For [tex]b=x+iy[/tex] , [tex]a^b=a^{x+ i y}=a^x a^{i y} = a^x \exp(i y \ln (a)) = a^x (\cos (y \ln (a))+i \sin (y \ln (a))[/tex]
by Euler's formula [tex]e^{i\theta}=\cos\theta+i\sin\theta[/tex].

I wonder what happens to [tex]A^B[/tex] where both [tex]A[/tex] and [tex]B[/tex] are matrices

Last edited:

1. What is the result of raising a real number to a real number?

The result of raising a real number (a) to another real number (b) is a number with a value equal to a multiplied by itself b times. In other words, the result is equivalent to a^b.

2. Can a real number be raised to a complex number?

Yes, a real number can be raised to a complex number (a+bi) where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit. The result will be a complex number with a real component and an imaginary component.

3. What is the result of raising a complex number to a real number?

The result of raising a complex number (a+bi) to a real number (b) is a complex number with a real component and an imaginary component. The real component will be equal to a^b and the imaginary component will depend on the value of b.

4. How do you calculate the result of raising a complex number to another complex number?

To calculate the result of raising a complex number (a+bi) to another complex number (c+di), you can use the formula (a+bi)^(c+di) = e^(c+di*ln(a+bi)), where e is the base of the natural logarithm and ln is the natural logarithm function. Alternatively, you can convert the complex numbers into polar form and use the power of a complex number formula.

5. What are some real-life applications of exploring the result of a^b with real or complex numbers?

The concept of raising a number to a power is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. For example, in physics, the laws of motion and thermodynamics involve using powers of numbers. In engineering, complex numbers are used to represent and analyze electrical circuits. In finance, compound interest and exponential growth/decay can be modeled using powers of numbers.