Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex indices

1. Sep 28, 2007 #1

JPC

hey, was wondering what would happen if i do :

a^b
    with a : real or complex number
    and b : a complex number

like : 2^i

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2007 #2
    The definition:

[tex]a^b = \exp (b \ln a)[/tex]

In general ln is multivalued (actually infinitely valued) so there is no unique answer.

4. Sep 28, 2007 #3

JPC

whats exp() ?
    i know log() , and ln() but never heard of exp()

5. Sep 28, 2007 #4
    exponential
    e = 2.718281828

6. Sep 28, 2007 #5
    Specifically, [tex]exp(x) = e^x[/tex].

7. Sep 29, 2007 #6

JPC

oh ok :

so
    2^i = e^ ( i * ln(2))
    ?

8. Sep 29, 2007 #7

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Yup that is perfectly correct. Or if you want it split into real and imaginary parts: [tex]\cos (\ln 2) + i \sin (\ln 2)[/tex]

9. Oct 24, 2007 #8

JPC

ok
    now that we started working on exp(x) in my class i know a bit more what you are talking about

But how do u pass from e^(i * ln(2) ) to [tex]\cos (\ln 2) + i \sin (\ln 2)[/tex] ?

10. Oct 24, 2007 #9
    remember that exp(x) and ln(x) are defined in a more general sense as complex functions.
    if a complex number is of the form z=a +ib then
    exp(z)=exp(a+ ib)=exp(a)exp(ib) by additivity of exponentials and then using euler's formula: exp(z)=exp(a)(cosb +isin(b))
    here the a is real so exp(a) is evaluating using the real definition.

The complex definitions of the trancesendental functions extend that of it's real analogue.

JPC: if you learning about the real exponential function for the first time you probably won't encounter euler's formula until later in the course - it's an application of power series.

11. Oct 25, 2007 #10

Gib Z

Homework Helper

JPC, it seems my assumptions on your maths education are wrong, in Australia for some reason we do complex numbers after Exponential functions, forgive the pun but here they are seen as, well, more complex. Anyway, You obviously don't need to know what I say from here, so you can either choose to ignore my post completely or read more on what I say next: There is a famous relation that Euler derived through Taylor Series expansions that told him that [tex]e^{ix} = \cos x + i \sin x[/tex]. I Merely used that identity straight off.

12. Sep 13, 2010 #11
    For [tex]b=x+iy[/tex] , [tex]a^b=a^{x+ i y}=a^x a^{i y} = a^x \exp(i y \ln (a)) = a^x (\cos (y \ln (a))+i \sin (y \ln (a))[/tex]
    by Euler's formula [tex]e^{i\theta}=\cos\theta+i\sin\theta[/tex].

I wonder what happens to [tex]A^B[/tex] where both [tex]A[/tex] and [tex]B[/tex] are matrices

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?