Complex Integral Residue Theorem

In summary, the Complex Integral Residue Theorem is a mathematical concept that relates the value of a complex integral to the singularities of a function. It is used in various areas of mathematics, including complex analysis and differential equations, to calculate difficult integrals. Singularities, which are points where a function is undefined or infinite, play a crucial role in the theorem's calculations. The formula for the theorem is ∫<sub>γ</sub> f(z) dz = 2πi ∑<sub>k</sub> Res(f,z<sub>k</sub>), where ∫<sub>γ</sub> f(z) dz represents the complex integral around a closed curve and Res(f,z<sub>k</sub
Tangent87
I have attached a pdf of my problem and attempted solution. I seem to be a factor of f'(z) out from the required solution, can anyone see where I've gone wrong?

Attachments

• complexprob.pdf
    84.5 KB · Views: 263
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, shouldn't the expression you are taking the limit of to get the residue be (t-z)*t*f'(t)/(f(t)-w)?

Ahh yeah crap, I was thinking f(t)-w would cancel as usual when taking a residue of a simple pole but it's f(t) not t. Cheers.

What is the Complex Integral Residue Theorem?

The Complex Integral Residue Theorem is a mathematical concept in complex analysis that relates the value of a complex integral around a closed curve to the singularities of a function inside the curve. It allows for the calculation of difficult integrals using the residues, or the values of a function at its singular points.

How is the Complex Integral Residue Theorem used in mathematics?

The Complex Integral Residue Theorem is used in several areas of mathematics, including complex analysis, number theory, and differential equations. It is especially useful for calculating integrals that cannot be solved using traditional methods, as it provides a shortcut for finding their values.

What are singularities in the context of the Complex Integral Residue Theorem?

In the context of the Complex Integral Residue Theorem, singularities refer to the points where a function is undefined or infinite. These points can be poles, essential singularities, or removable singularities, and they play a crucial role in the theorem's calculations.

What is the formula for the Complex Integral Residue Theorem?

The formula for the Complex Integral Residue Theorem is given by:

γ f(z) dz = 2πi ∑k Res(f,zk),

where ∫γ f(z) dz represents the complex integral around the closed curve γ, and Res(f,zk) represents the residue of the function f at the singular point zk.

What are some applications of the Complex Integral Residue Theorem?

The Complex Integral Residue Theorem has many applications in mathematics and physics, including calculating definite integrals, solving differential equations, and evaluating infinite series. It is also used in the study of complex functions and their properties, such as analyticity and meromorphicity.