1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex number question

1. Jan 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data If [tex]z = \frac{a}{b}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{1}{a + b} = \frac{1}{a} + \frac{1}{b}[/tex], find z.

2. Relevant equationsI'm pretty sure z is a complex number.

3. The attempt at a solutionI have no idea where to start. The teacher did nothing like this in class. I tried something that involved combining the fractions on the right hand side and then cross-multiplying with the fraction on the left hand side. I played around with that for a few minutes but it didn't give me anything.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2010 #2
    I am confused about what you are asking. z is defined. Are you trying to get z in different terms than above? Or perhaps in cartesian/standard or polar form?

4. Jan 27, 2010 #3
    Keep playing. It works out.

5. Jan 27, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Multiply both sides of your equation by (a+b) and try to reduce the right side to terms that are constants or a/b, or b/a. a/b=z. Doesn't that make b/a=1/z? Write it all in terms of z. Think 'quadratic equation'.

6. Jan 27, 2010 #5
    I think I got it. I substituted zb for a. I combined and cross multiplied again. I ended up with [tex]z = \frac{-1}{2} \pm \frac{i\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex]

Now I need to check it...

7. Jan 27, 2010 #6
    It checks! w00t \O/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook