Complex Numbers: Solving 2^(8n)exp^(2niπ)=2^(8n)

• Thread starter craig100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the complex numbers e^{2ni\Pi} and e^{i\Pi}, with the conclusion that e^{2ni\Pi} = 1. The concept of polar form is also mentioned as a way to visualize complex numbers.
craig100
Hey again;
It doesn't seem to be my day for spotting the obvious;

I've come across this problem now:

[tex]2^{8n}\exp^{2ni\Pi} = 2^{8n}[/tex]

This imples that [tex]exp^{2ni\Pi} = 1[/tex], i know that [tex]exp^{i\Pi} =-1[/tex], but is that related?

hmm, Latex issues...i'll try and fix them :) - sorted
Craig

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, using the exponential form: [tex]e^{2\pi i}=\cos(2\pi)+i\sin(2\pi)=1[/tex]. So, [tex]e^{2\pi ni}=\cos(2n\pi)+i\sin(2n\pi)[/tex] and since cos(2n pi)=cos(2 pi)=1, and sin(2n pi)=sin(2 pi)=0, the result exp(2ni pi)=1 is obtained

The relation to that famous identity is
[tex]e^{2i\pi}=(e^{i\pi})^2=(-1)^2=1.[/tex]

Hi craig100,

you can visualize the complex number [tex]e^{i \theta}[/tex] as a vector of length 1 that is rotated by an angle [tex]\theta[/tex] with respect to the positive x-axis,
see .[/URL]

Also, see the section "Polar Form" here

The form [tex]z=r \cdot e^{i \theta}[/tex] is also called polar form of the complex number z. The vector has the length r and an angle [tex]\theta[/tex] with respect to the positive x axis.

If you visualize the complex number in that way, you can immediately see what value the complex number z will have for certain values such as
[tex]\theta = \pi/4, \pi/2, \pi, 2 \pi[/tex].

This example shows [tex]z=5 \cdot e^{i \pi /3}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
craig100 said:
This imples that [tex]exp^{2ni\Pi} = 1[/tex], i know that [tex]exp^{i\Pi} =-1[/tex], but is that related?

Best way to show how its related is Eighty's post.

Thank guys, quite simple afterall :smile:

FAQ: Complex Numbers: Solving 2^(8n)exp^(2niπ)=2^(8n)

What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that have two components: a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with i being the imaginary unit (√-1).

How do you solve equations with complex numbers?

To solve equations with complex numbers, you can use algebraic methods such as combining like terms and isolating the variable. You can also use the properties of complex numbers, such as the conjugate property and the fact that i^2=-1.

What is the significance of the number 2^(8n) in the given equation?

The number 2^(8n) is the base of the exponential function in the given equation. It is raised to the power of 8n, which is a multiple of 8. This indicates that there may be a pattern or relationship between the solutions of this equation and the number 8.

What does the term exp^(2niπ) represent in the equation?

The term exp^(2niπ) represents the exponential function with a complex argument of 2niπ. This means that the base of the exponential function is raised to the power of 2niπ, which is a complex number.

How do you interpret the solution to the equation 2^(8n)exp^(2niπ)=2^(8n)?

The solution to this equation represents the values of n that make the equation true. These values may be real, imaginary, or complex numbers.