Complex numbers - I'm sure this is an easy - Argand diagram

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the complex numbers represented by C and D in cartesian form on an Argand diagram. The solutions are -2-4i and -3-1i for C and D, respectively. The conversation also mentions using complex number operations such as multiplication and addition to find the solutions.
laura_a

Homework Statement

OABC is a square on an Argand diagram. O Represents 0, A represents -4 + 2i, B Represents z, C represents w and D is the point where the diagonals of the square meet. (There are two possible squares that meet this criteria) Find the complex number represented by C and D in cartesian form.

Homework Equations

A represents -4 + 2i,

The Attempt at a Solution

I've worked out that AO is √20 and AC is √40 and the arg (AO) is 26°34'

I've also sketch the square on geogebra so I know the answers, just working on the negative side, C is -2 - 4i and D is -3 -1i (this is just from visual solution)

I've even started using the distance formula in A0 and AC and then simultaneous equations but it was far too messy considering how simple the answer is so I must just be missing one thing and I'm hoping for a kick start

Is there an easy way using my old maths skills or is there something in complex numbers that can help me? :) Maybe it is to do with the fact that A0 and C0 are perpendicular. Fun fact I just learned that in any square, the length of the diagonal is √2 times the length of a side... .mind blown - well I've just tested it in two made up squares and it worked both times... have yet to prove it by induction ;)

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Multiplying a complex number by ##i## rotates it anti-clockwise around O and by ##-i## rotates it clockwise. So if you multiply A by those two numbers you get the two possibilities for C.

Addition of complex numbers is a translation in the plane, so how can you work out B as a simple addition of two points you already have? When it comes to addition, you can treat complex numbers like vectors. That should enable you to find D in terms of two points you already have.

I knew it was something simple, but the Fitzpatrick textbook is written for people who already know this stuff, not for people who are learning it so it's pretty tricky, thanks a heap!

What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i being the imaginary unit equal to the square root of -1.

What is an Argand diagram?

An Argand diagram is a graphical representation of complex numbers. It is a 2-dimensional coordinate system where the horizontal axis represents the real part of a complex number and the vertical axis represents the imaginary part. It is named after the mathematician Jean-Robert Argand.

What is the purpose of an Argand diagram?

The purpose of an Argand diagram is to visually represent complex numbers and their relationships. It allows for easy visualization of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of complex numbers. It also helps in understanding the modulus and argument of a complex number.

How do you plot a complex number on an Argand diagram?

To plot a complex number a + bi on an Argand diagram, locate the point (a,b) on the coordinate plane. This point represents the complex number on the diagram. The distance of this point from the origin is the modulus of the complex number, and the angle that this point makes with the positive real axis is the argument of the complex number.

What is the conjugate of a complex number?

The conjugate of a complex number is a number with the same real part but the opposite sign of the imaginary part. It is denoted by adding a bar or prime symbol to the original complex number, such as a + bi becomes a - bi. The conjugate is important in operations such as division and finding the modulus of a complex number.