Differential Calculus Problem Help w/ Complex Numbers

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with differential calculus. They are struggling with a region sketch in image 1.jpg and are unsure how to approach section a in image 3.jpg. The suggestion is made to write z=x+iy and use Euler's identity and the multivaluedness of the complex exponential. The person asking for help is named Daniel.
alexialight
Just wondering if anyone could help me out with some problems I'm having with differential calculus.

Firstly, can anyone confirm if I sketched the region in image 1.jpg correctly (shown in 2.jpg)? I've done questions before where it just says |z|<2 and I know that it looks like a circle, but in this case the Re z at the end of the 2 just got me really confused.

Also, in image 3.jpg I have no idea as to how to even approach section a and I'm pretty sure I can't do b and c without understanding a. Can anyone help me out with this? Any hints or something because I've been staring at it for a while now and not getting anywhere (obviously).

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 414
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 377
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 393
Mathematics news on Phys.org
For the first one, maybe writing z=x+iy (with Re(z)=x) will help.

For the second one, z=r(cost + isint) is called the modulus-argument form, i.e. r and t are the modulus and argument of z, respectively.

Does that help?

For the problem,make use of Euler's identity

[tex]e^{i\varphi}\equiv \cos\varphi+i\sin\varphi [/tex]

and of the multivaluedness of the complex exponential.

Daniel.

FAQ: Differential Calculus Problem Help w/ Complex Numbers

1) What is differential calculus?

Differential calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of rates of change and the slope of curves. It involves the use of derivatives to analyze the behavior of functions and solve complex problems related to motion, optimization, and growth.

2) How is differential calculus related to complex numbers?

Differential calculus can be applied to functions with complex numbers as inputs or outputs. The rules for differentiation are the same for complex numbers as they are for real numbers, with the addition of the concept of complex conjugates.

3) What are the main applications of differential calculus?

Differential calculus has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, economics, engineering, and statistics. It is used to analyze rates of change in physical systems, optimize business processes, and model real-world problems.

4) Can differential calculus be used to solve problems with complex numbers?

Yes, differential calculus can be used to solve problems involving complex numbers. The process involves finding the derivatives of complex-valued functions and using them to analyze the behavior of the function.

5) Are there any specific techniques for solving differential calculus problems with complex numbers?

The same techniques used in real-valued differential calculus can be applied to complex-valued functions, with the addition of the concept of complex conjugates. The use of the chain rule, product rule, and quotient rule are also helpful in solving problems involving complex numbers.