1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Numbers

1. Mar 31, 2005 #1
    Just wondering if anyone could help me out with some problems I'm having with differential calculus.

Firstly, can anyone confirm if I sketched the region in image 1.jpg correctly (shown in 2.jpg)? I've done questions before where it just says |z|<2 and I know that it looks like a circle, but in this case the Re z at the end of the 2 just got me really confused.

Also, in image 3.jpg I have no idea as to how to even approach section a and I'm pretty sure I can't do b and c without understanding a. Can anyone help me out with this? Any hints or something because I've been staring at it for a while now and not getting anywhere (obviously).

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      1.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      5.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      11.5 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2005 #2
    For the first one, maybe writing z=x+iy (with Re(z)=x) will help.

For the second one, z=r(cost + isint) is called the modulus-argument form, i.e. r and t are the modulus and argument of z, respectively.

Does that help?

4. Mar 31, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For the problem,make use of Euler's identity

[tex]e^{i\varphi}\equiv \cos\varphi+i\sin\varphi [/tex]

and of the multivaluedness of the complex exponential.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook