Complex Power, calc load impedance

In summary, the problem involves determining the impedance of a load that absorbs 58959W at a lagging power factor of 0.73 and a current of 0.001A-rms. Using Ohm's law and impedance/voltage/power triangles, the impedance is calculated to be 5.9 * 10^10 ohms. However, the impedance is usually specified in terms of its real and reactive components or magnitude and angle form.
Zarathuztra

Homework Statement

A load absorbs 58959W at a lagging power factor of pf = 0.73. If the current flowing through the load is ix = 0.001A-rms , determine the impedance of the load.

Homework Equations

Ohms law
Impedance/Voltage/Power Triangles

The Attempt at a Solution

If the load absorbs 58959W, I'm assuming that is apparent power (S)

If 58959W is S then by Pavg = S*pf = Irms2R

R = 58959*.73/.0012 = 43.04 GΩ (must be wrong...)

I would then take R/pf = Z... but the number gets more ridiculous. How am I going about this wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Apparent power is usually specified in VA rather than W. Real power is given in W, reactive power in VAR.

then 58959 = Pavg

and Pavg = irms2 * R

so 58959/.0012 = R = 5.9 * 1010

Z = R/pf = 5.9 * 1010 / 0.73

Okay, but usually an impedance is specified by its real and reactive components (it's actually a complex number), or in magnitude and angle form.

ah that's what was wrong with my input.. lol. Thanks gneill

1. What is complex power?

Complex power is a mathematical representation of the power consumed or supplied by a circuit. It takes into account both the active/real power, which is the power that is actually used to do work, and the reactive power, which is the power used to maintain the electric or magnetic fields in the circuit.

2. How is complex power calculated?

Complex power can be calculated using the formula S = P + jQ, where S is the complex power, P is the active power, and Q is the reactive power. This formula uses a combination of real numbers (P) and imaginary numbers (jQ) to represent the active and reactive components of power.

3. What is load impedance?

Load impedance is the measure of total opposition that a circuit presents to the flow of alternating current. It is made up of two components: resistance, which is the opposition to the flow of current due to the material of the conductor, and reactance, which is the opposition caused by the inductance and capacitance of the circuit.

4. How is load impedance calculated?

Load impedance can be calculated using the formula Z = R + jX, where Z is the load impedance, R is the resistance, and X is the reactance. This formula uses a combination of real numbers (R) and imaginary numbers (jX) to represent the resistance and reactance components of load impedance.

5. How are complex power and load impedance related?

Complex power and load impedance are related through the equation S = I^2Z, where S is the complex power, I is the current flowing through the circuit, and Z is the load impedance. This equation shows that complex power is directly proportional to the square of the current and the load impedance. It also indicates that increasing the load impedance will result in a decrease in complex power.