Find the Nth Term: Simplifying the Denominator

In summary, the conversation is about finding the nth term in the series x/2+(x^2)/3+(x^3)/2^2+(x^4)/3^2+(x^5)/2^3+..., with the numerator being x^n. The person has trouble with the denominator and someone else suggests that there may be two formulas for the series (one for even degree terms and one for odd degree terms). The original person then shares their solution of taking the first two members and developing the series, resulting in the nth term being x^2n-1/2^n+x^2n/3^n. However, the reply asks for clarification and suggests using parentheses in the equation.
mario mata

Homework Statement

find the nth term

Homework Equations

x/2+(x^2)/3+(x^3)/2^2+(x^4)/3^2+(x^5)/2^3+...

The Attempt at a Solution

the numerator clearly is x^n but i have problems with the denominator

Physics news on Phys.org
i have many problems with this serie because of the denominator

mario mata said:

Homework Statement

find the nth term

Homework Equations

x/2+(x^2)/3+(x^3)/2^2+(x^4)/3^2+(x^5)/2^3+...

The Attempt at a Solution

the numerator clearly is x^n but i have problems with the denominator
It looks to me like the next term in the series will be x^6/3^3. If that's correct, then there will be two formulas for this series: one for the even degree terms and one for the odd degree terms.

thank a lot but i have the answer, it ocurred me take the fisrt two memebers and develop the serie, obtaining x^2n-1/2^n+x^2n/3^n as the nth term

mario mata said:
thank a lot but i have the answer, it ocurred me take the fisrt two memebers and develop the serie, obtaining x^2n-1/2^n+x^2n/3^n as the nth term

I can't even guess what you mean by this: x^2n-1/2^n+x^2n/3^n

Please use parentheses around the exponents and numerators and denominators of fractions.

Related to Find the Nth Term: Simplifying the Denominator

1. What is the purpose of finding the Nth term in simplifying the denominator?

The Nth term in simplifying the denominator allows us to find a general rule or pattern for the terms in the denominator of a given sequence or series. This can help us simplify complex fractions or equations and make them easier to work with.

2. How do you find the Nth term in a sequence?

To find the Nth term in a sequence, you need to first identify the pattern or rule in the sequence. This can be done by looking at the difference between each term or by finding a common ratio. Once you have identified the pattern, you can use it to find the Nth term by plugging in the value of N into the formula or rule.

3. Can the Nth term in simplifying the denominator be found for any type of sequence?

Yes, the Nth term can be found for any type of sequence as long as there is a clear pattern or rule. This includes arithmetic, geometric, and other types of sequences.

4. How can finding the Nth term help in simplifying complex fractions?

By finding the Nth term, we can rewrite a complex fraction as a simpler fraction with a common denominator. This makes it easier to perform operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division on the fraction.

5. What are some tips for finding the Nth term in a sequence?

Some tips for finding the Nth term include looking for patterns in the sequence, checking for a common difference or ratio, and using algebraic equations to represent the sequence. It can also be helpful to start by finding the first few terms in the sequence and then using those to identify the pattern.