Probability of 1 Letter E in 4 Randomly Selected Letters from 'ENCYCLOPAEDIA

  • Thread starter Thread starter Darkmisc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Probability
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 2K views
Darkmisc
Messages
222
Reaction score
31
Homework Statement
Four letters are randomly selected from the word ENCYCLOPAEDIA. Find the probability that one letter E will occur in the selection of 4 letters.
Relevant Equations
[SUP]2[/SUP]C[SUB]1[/SUB] x [SUP]11[/SUP]C[SUB]3[/SUB]/[SUP]13[/SUP]C[SUB]4[/SUB] = 0.46
Four letters are randomly selected from the word ENCYCLOPAEDIA. Find the probability that one letter E will occur in the selection of 4 letters.

My calculation was

2C1 x 11C3/13C4 = 0.46

However, the answer is 2/33. I think the repeated letters might need to be accounted for. I divided the E term in the numerator by 2. I also divided the term for the remaining 11 letters by 4. I divided the denominator by 8 (2!x2!x2!), but this just canceled out the 2x4 in the numerator.
Thanks
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your answer. I did it using direct probabilies. First, the probability of getting an ##E## as the first letter, followed by three letters that are not ##E## is:
$$P(EXXX) = \frac 2{13} \cdot \frac{11}{12} \cdot \frac{10}{11} \cdot \frac{9}{10} = \frac 3 {26}$$
Then we have the same probability for ##XEXX## etc. So, the total probability of precisely one ##E## is ##\frac{12}{26} = 0.46##.

Your method worked because you effectively labelled the duplicate letters ##E_1, E_2## and looked for either ##E_1## or ##E_2##. And the same with the other duplicate letters.

So, we have three ways to calculate and, happily, they all give the same answer.

PS you can see that ##2/33## can't be right, because you have only three options: no E's, one E ort two E's. The last of these looks the least likely, so you'd expect quite a high probability of either no E's or one E.

You could, as an exercise, calculate those probabilities as well: no E's and two E's. And check it all adds up to 1.
 
Last edited: