How Does Complex Analysis Explain Geometry and Entire Functions?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Markov2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, the conversation discusses various mathematical problems and asks for help with solving them. The problems involve proving the angle between two complex numbers, determining the characteristics of a triangle in a given set, and finding the entire functions for a given set of conditions. The conversation also includes a humorous exchange between the participants.
Markov2
Denote $D=\{z\in\mathbb C:|z|<1\}$

1) Given $z,w\in\mathbb C,$ prove that the angle between $z$ and $w$ equals $\dfrac\pi2$ iff $\dfrac zw$ is pure imaginary or $\overline zw+z\overline w=0$

2) Let $a,b,c\in\partial D$ so that $a+b+c=0.$ Prove that the triangle $\Delta(a,b,c)$ is equilateral.

3) Let $C>0$ be a fixed constant. Characterize all the $f$ entire functions so that for all $z\in\mathbb C$ with $|z|>1$ is $|f(z)|\le\dfrac{C|z|^3}{\log|z|}.$

4) Consider a function $f\in\mathcal H(D)\cap C(\overline D).$ If exists $a\in\mathbb C$ so that for all $t\in[0,\pi]$ is $f(e^{it})=a,$ prove that for all $z\in D$ is $f(z)=a.$

Attempts:

1) I don't know how to see the stuff of the angles, what's the way to prove it?

2) I don't see a way to work it analytically, how to start?

3) Since $f$ is entire, it has convergent Taylor series then $f(z)=\displaystyle\sum_{k=0}^\infty\frac{f^{(k)(0)}}{k!}z^k,$ now by using Cauchy's integral formula we have $\displaystyle\left| {{f}^{(k)}}(0) \right|\le \frac{k!}{2\pi }\int_{\left| z \right|=R}{\frac{\left| f(z) \right|}{{{R}^{k+1}}}\,dz},$ and $\dfrac{{\left| {{f^{(k)}}(0)} \right|}}{{k!}} \le \dfrac{{C{R^3}}}{{{R^{k + 1}}\log R}} = \dfrac{{C{R^{2 - k}}}}{{\log R}}$ this clearly goes to zero as $R\to\infty,$ but for $k\ge2,$ then $f^{(k)}(0)=0$ for $k\ge2$ so the functions are polynomials of degree 1.

4) I don't see how to do this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Markov said:
Denote $D=\{z\in\mathbb C:|z|<1\}$

1) Given $z,w\in\mathbb C,$ prove that the angle between $z$ and $w$ equals $\dfrac\pi2$ iff $\dfrac zw$ is pure imaginary or $\overline zw+z\overline w=0$

Hint:Dot product of z with w must be 0.

If $z=x+iy$ and $w=u+iv$ then:

$z\cdot w=xu+yv=0$

or:

$xu=-yv$

Now, what is $\frac{z}{w}$?

(Multiply the numerator and denominator by $\bar{w}$ )

Also sprach Zarathustra said:
If $z=x+iy$ and $w=u+iv$ then:

$z\cdot w=xu+yv=0$
I don't get this, why is not $z\cdot w=xu-yv$ ? Now $\dfrac{z}{w} = \dfrac{{(x + yi)(u - vi)}}{{{u^2} + {v^2}}} = \dfrac{{xu + (uy - xv)i + vy}}{{{u^2} + {v^2}}} = \dfrac{{(uy - xv)i}}{{{u^2} + {v^2}}},$ so this shows that $\dfrac zw$ is pure imaginary. Now for the converse, how do I start? I assume that $\dfrac zw$ is pure imaginary or the other one?

Can you help me with the other problems please?

I need help with 2), and, can anybody check my work for 3) please?

Markov said:
I need help with 2), and, can anybody check my work for 3) please?
Very nice question (2) !
From the given $a,b,c\in\partial D$ we deduce: $|a|=|b|=|c|$.

Now, for any complex numbers $z$ and $w$ we wave:

$|z-w|^2+|z+x|^2=2(|z|^2+|w|^2)$ (Prove it)

Now,

$a+b=-c$

With the formula above we have:

$|a-b|^2=3|c|^2$

Similarly:

$a+c=-b$

and $|a-c|^2=3|b|^2$$b+c=-a$

and $|b-c|^2=3|a|^2$But, $|a|=|b|=|c|$, hence:$|a-b|=|c-a|=|b-c|$The end!

Last edited:
http://www.mathhelpboards.com/member.php?52-Also-sprach-Zarathustra, can you help me with problem 1), I posted some questions there.

Can anybody check my work on problem 3)?

(Prove it)

You rang? :P

Prove It said:
You rang? :P

To be honest, I thought about you when I writ it down... :)

To be honest, I thought about you when I writ it down... :)

You're only human, how could you NOT think of me? ;)

Related to How Does Complex Analysis Explain Geometry and Entire Functions?

1. What is the definition of complex stuff?

Complex stuff refers to any subject or concept that is made up of multiple interconnected parts or elements, and may be difficult to understand or explain.

2. Why is it important to study complex stuff?

Studying complex stuff allows us to gain a deeper understanding of the world around us, and can also lead to advancements in various fields such as science, technology, and engineering.

3. How do scientists approach complex stuff?

Scientists use a variety of methods and techniques, such as observation, experimentation, and mathematical modeling, to break down complex systems into smaller, more manageable parts and better understand how they work.

4. Can complex stuff be simplified?

In some cases, complex stuff can be simplified by identifying and focusing on the most essential components and relationships. However, there are also instances where complexity is inherent and cannot be simplified.

5. How does studying complex stuff benefit society?

Studying complex stuff can lead to important discoveries and innovations that improve our lives. It can also help us address and solve complex problems and challenges, such as climate change, disease, and social issues.