Complex Variables: |z-i|=Re(z) Locus of Points

• Thread starter kingwinner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary: There are two ways that can happen, right? The problem is that when you took a square root, you lost that info. If x<0, then Re(z)<0, and |z-i|>0. But from the original problem, we have |z-i|=Re(z), so that's a contradiction. So we must have x≥0.In summary, the locus of points z satisfying |z-i|=Re(z) is y=1 and x≥0. The justification for x≥0 is that if x<0, then Re(z)<0 and |z-i|>0, which contradicts the given condition. Therefore, x≥0 must hold
kingwinner

Homework Statement

Let z=x+iy. Describe the locus of points z satisfying |z-i|=Re(z).

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

|z-i|=Re(z)
=> sqrt[x2+(y-1)2] = x
=> x2+(y-1)2 = x2
=> (y-1)2 = 0
=> y=1

But the answer says y=1 and x≥0. Why? I think maybe I'm not getting the x≥0 because my implcations above isn't "if and only if". But what exactly is the reason and how can we rigorously justify that x≥0?

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
If x<0, what sign is Re(z)? What sign does |z-i| have to be?

The place where you lost the if and only if is here:

=> sqrt[x2+(y-1)2] = x
=> x2+(y-1)2 = x2

The if is perfectly fine, but when you try to go backwards, you're taking square roots so you don't know if the signs match up.

Whenever you have to divide by stuff or square things and aren't sure whether you've been doing if and only if statements the whole time, one way to check is to just take your solution and plug it back into the original problem. You know that every solution has to be of the form you have, but now you can see if there are any further restrictions involved. here we would spot it easily. If y=1 then

|z-i|=|x+i-i|=|x|

And Re(z)=x

So we need |x|=x

1. What is a complex variable?

A complex variable is a mathematical concept that deals with numbers that have both real and imaginary components. It is expressed in the form of z = x + yi, where x is the real part and yi is the imaginary part.

2. What does |z-i|=Re(z) represent?

This equation represents a locus of points in the complex plane. It describes all the points where the distance from z to the point i is equal to the real part of z.

3. How do you graph the locus of points described by |z-i|=Re(z)?

To graph this locus of points, you can plot the real part of z on the x-axis and the imaginary part on the y-axis. Then, you can use the distance formula to plot all the points that satisfy the equation |z-i|=Re(z). The resulting graph will be a straight line passing through the point (0,1) and perpendicular to the real axis.

4. What is the significance of the locus of points described by |z-i|=Re(z)?

This locus of points has many applications in complex analysis, particularly in understanding the behavior of functions in the complex plane. It can also help in solving certain problems in physics and engineering, such as fluid dynamics and electromagnetism.

5. Are there any other important equations or concepts related to this locus of points?

Yes, there are many other important equations and concepts related to this locus of points. For example, the locus of points described by |z-a|=k represents a circle with center a and radius k. Additionally, the concept of polar coordinates can be used to describe the locus of points in terms of their distance from a fixed point and their angle from the positive real axis.