1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex voltage across a capacitor

1. Jul 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm given the power for a capacitor. I know the voltage across the capacitor has a complex component. How do I find the value of the capacitor?

Power (purely reactive) = -50000j VA
    Voltage = 200 + 100j V @ 60 Hz

2. Relevant equations
    Power = (V*V) / Z
    Impedance of a capacitor = -j / (2*pi*f*C)

3. The attempt at a solution
    (200 + 100j)^2 / Z = -50000j
    (30000+40000j) / -50000j = Z
    -j / (2*pi*f*C) = (0.8 - 0.6j)
    -j / (0.8 - 0.6j) = 2*pi*f*C

C -> complex?

I get a complex component in the value of C
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2009 #2
    The voltage and capacitor current are not orthogonal. I think its strange though that the voltage was defined with a non-zero phase... compared to what?? Either that cap has some internal resistance, or there's a mistake in the givens, or you are suppose to assume the stated phase of the applied voltage is a phase from some other unrelated signal (but the cap phase given is NOT relative to that phase!), and therefore normalize the applied voltage to zero phase (which would mean its a bad question, IMO). I wouldn't feel comfortable assuming any of those unless your teacher wants you to notice the cap has internal resistance and has intentionally defined zero-phase as 90 degrees from the current's phase--which is a rather weird thing to do. But then if the teacher specified the cap is "purely reactive" with no real component, yet defined the applied voltage as having a non-zero phase, then its time to ask your teacher what the heck he meant.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook