Complexification for finding a particular solution

In summary: But in your particular problem, the forcing term was 4 sec(2 t), which is not a sum or product of sin cos and exp.In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equation with a particular solution of p(D)y=4sec(2t). The options for solving it include using variable parameters and complexification. However, complexification is not efficient for this problem because the forcing term is not a sum or product of sin, cos, and exp. Instead, variation of parameters is a better approach.
marmot
So I have this:

y'' + 4 y = 4 sec(2 t).

which translates to

p(D)y=4sec(2t)

where

p(D)=D^2+4

where D is a differential operatior

I know i have two choices for this, which is either looking for the particular solution through variable parameters which involved the winkonsian and some integrals, or just complexifying

if i complexify

i get p(D)y=4exp(-2ti) because cos(2t) is the real part of this exponential

because the equation is linear I can do this

y_p=4exp(-2ti)/(p(-2i))

where y_p is the particular solution.

after a lot of algebra, i find that the real part is

y_p=(-16cos(-2t)-32sin(-2t))/80

which doesn't look like all like the correct answer, which has a logarithm which means there is probably some integration involved. why does not this work?

this is the answer btw:

y=4 * [2^(-2)cos(2*t)ln( abs(cos(2*t))) + t*2^(-1)*sin(2 t)]

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
if I complexify

I get p(D)y=4/[exp(2ti)+exp(-2ti)]

You appear assume that
Re[1/f]=1/Re[f]
which is untrue
infact
Re[1/exp(2i t)]=cos(2 t)
1/Re[exp(2i t)]=sec(2 t)

Variation of parameters is better for this problem.

thanks a lot! so it means that complexfication is only efficient if i have sines and cosines?

It depends what you mean by complexification. You were using it to try to solve the equation by undetermined coefficients, that can only work when the forcing term can be annihilated by a differentiation operator with constant coefficients. Such functions are sums and products of sin cos and exp.

Related to Complexification for finding a particular solution

1. What is complexification in the context of finding a particular solution?

Complexification is the process of making a problem or system more complex in order to find a specific solution. It involves breaking down a problem into smaller, more manageable parts and introducing new elements or variables to better understand the problem and potential solutions.

2. How does complexification help in finding a particular solution?

By adding complexity to a problem, it allows for a more thorough exploration of potential solutions. It can reveal hidden patterns or relationships that may not have been apparent before and can lead to more innovative and effective solutions.

3. What are some common techniques used in complexification for finding a particular solution?

Some common techniques include breaking down the problem into smaller components, introducing new variables or parameters, using different perspectives or approaches, and utilizing advanced mathematical or computational methods.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using complexification in finding a particular solution?

One potential drawback is that it can be time-consuming and resource-intensive. It also requires a high level of expertise and knowledge in the specific problem domain. In some cases, complexification may also lead to overly complicated solutions that are difficult to implement or understand.

5. Can complexification be applied to any type of problem?

Yes, complexification can be applied to a wide range of problems, from scientific and engineering challenges to social and economic issues. However, it is important to carefully consider the potential benefits and drawbacks before implementing complexification in a problem-solving approach.