Complicated integration problem

• Thread starter tanderse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation is about someone trying to solve a difficult integral for a research project. They have tried various methods and even used MATLAB, but have not been successful. Ultimately, by using Mathematica and trigonometric identities, they were able to simplify the integral to a much easier expression.
tanderse
I need to figure this integral out for a graduate research project, however I've been stuck on it for days now:

int[ sqrt((R^2)+2*R*A*cos(T)+(A^2))*cos(atan(-(R+A*cos(T))/(A*sin(T)))-atan(-cot(T))) ]

*integration is with respect to T (all other variables can be assumed constant)

I have been looking around for anything that resembles this but with no luck. I have also tried integration by parts, using the square root as the 'dv' term however I haven't been able to figure out how to integrate the square root term on its own either. I've also tried using MATLAB to solve the integral for me, but MATLAB just stays 'busy' forever and never outputs anything. If anybody could help me out or point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematica gave the following reply

[tex]
\int \sqrt{R^2+2 R A \text{Cos}[T]+A^2}\text{Cos}\left[\text{ArcTan}\left[-\frac{R+A \text{Cos}[T]}{A\text{Sin}[T]}\right]-\text{ArcTan}[-\text{Cot}[T]]\right]dT\text{//}\text{Simplify}
[/tex]
[tex]
=\frac{A \sqrt{\frac{\left(A^2+R^2+2 A R \text{Cos}[T]\right) \text{Csc}[T]^2}{A^2}} (A T+R \text{Sin}[T])}{\sqrt{A^2+R^2+2 A R \text{Cos}[T]} \sqrt{\text{Csc}[T]^2}}
[/tex]

Are you sure you wrote that down correctly? That answer cancels out to:

AT + Rsin(T)

tanderse said:
Are you sure you wrote that down correctly? That answer cancels out to:

I just copied and pasted from Mathematica so i assume I did write it down correctly:smile:

Maybe already your original expression cancels out to something quite easy if you use enough trig identities.

You were right, it does indeed work out to that once you figure out the trig identities. Wouldn't have figured it out without your help Callahan, I owe you one.

1. What is a "complicated integration problem"?

A complicated integration problem is a mathematical problem that involves calculating the definite integral of a function that cannot be easily solved by hand or using simple integration techniques.

2. What makes an integration problem complicated?

There are several factors that can make an integration problem complicated, including the complexity of the function being integrated, the limits of integration, and the presence of special functions or constants in the integrand.

3. How do you solve a complicated integration problem?

Solving a complicated integration problem typically involves using advanced integration techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. It may also require the use of computer software or numerical methods to approximate the solution.

4. Why are complicated integration problems important?

Complicated integration problems are important in many areas of science, engineering, and mathematics, as they allow us to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena. They also help us to develop new mathematical techniques and advance our understanding of mathematical concepts.

5. Are there any tips for solving complicated integration problems?

Some tips for solving complicated integration problems include breaking the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, using trigonometric identities to simplify expressions, and practicing regularly to improve problem-solving techniques. It may also be helpful to consult resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and peer-reviewed articles for guidance.