Component of weight perpendicular to bar

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the component of weight perpendicular to a bar, with different equations and attempts at finding the solution. The correct answer is mgsin(theta), where theta is the angle measured from the vertical to the ground plane.
theone

Homework Statement

http://postimg.org/image/tlvhadljz/
I am trying to find the component of weight perpendicular to the bar.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried as shown and I got mgcos(theta) but I am supposed to be getting mgsin(theta)

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you please explain the question. Even the picture seems vague.

theone said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I tried as shown and I got mgcos(theta) but I am supposed to be getting mgsin(theta)
It's fairly basic trigonometry. The angle, θ, is obtuse, so you might be better off considering the angle π - θ which is acute. You can then more directly see that you need to use sin(π - θ) by considering opposite/hypotenuse.

Untitled.jpg

theone said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The theta you considered is not the same with the theta that is shown in the figure on the left.

Oh dear they are right. theta is measured from the vertical to the ground plane (not from the ground plane itself) so the theta we considered is equal to the actual theta minus π/2. So the perpendicular component of weight is mgcos(theta-π/2)=mg(cos(theta)cos(pi/2)+sin(theta)sin(pi/2))=mgsin(theta).

thanks everone

What is a component of weight perpendicular to a bar?

A component of weight perpendicular to a bar is a force that is exerted on a bar in a direction that is perpendicular to its length. This force is typically caused by the weight of an object that is hanging or resting on the bar.

How is the component of weight perpendicular to a bar calculated?

The component of weight perpendicular to a bar can be calculated by multiplying the weight of the object by the cosine of the angle between the bar and the direction of the weight. This calculation is based on the concept of vector components.

What is the difference between the component of weight perpendicular to a bar and the total weight of an object?

The component of weight perpendicular to a bar is only a part of the total weight of an object. It is the force that is specifically acting on the bar in a direction perpendicular to its length. The total weight of an object includes all forces acting on it in all directions.

What is the significance of the component of weight perpendicular to a bar?

The component of weight perpendicular to a bar is important in determining the stability and strength of structures. It helps engineers and architects calculate the load bearing capacity of bars and other supporting structures, to ensure that they can safely support the weight of objects.

Can the component of weight perpendicular to a bar change?

Yes, the component of weight perpendicular to a bar can change if the angle between the bar and the direction of the weight changes. This can happen if the object is moved or the bar is rotated or repositioned. The weight itself may also change, which would affect the magnitude of the component of weight perpendicular to the bar.