Acceleration of a downhill skier

• Thread starter aron silvester
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceleration
In summary, the weight vector should be denoted ##\vec w##, not ##-\vec w##, as it would point in the opposite direction. The y component of the weight should also be larger than the weight itself.
aron silvester

Homework Statement

I understand in my head that Wx = mgsin(27) and Wy = -mgcos(27). Though when I tried solving for both Wx and Wy, their signs turned out to be opposite. I've provided my work leading up to Wx = -mgsin(27) and Wy = mgcos(27). Maybe I interpreted the signs of x and y component of W?
IMG_1797.jpeg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

IMG_1798.jpeg
[/B]

Attachments

• IMG_1797.jpeg
    IMG_1797.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 988
  • IMG_1798.jpeg
    IMG_1798.jpeg
    54.6 KB · Views: 617
Physics news on Phys.org
The weight vector should be denoted ##\vec w##, not ##-\vec w##. The vector ##-\vec w## would point in the opposite direction of the weight.

Also, in you diagram, you drew ##\vec w_x## as horizontal rather than parallel to the x axis. (Note that your y component of the weight is larger than the weight w.)

Likes aron silvester
TSny said:
The weight vector should be denoted ##\vec w##, not ##-\vec w##. The vector ##-\vec w## would point in the opposite direction of the weight.

Also, in you diagram, you drew ##\vec w_x## as horizontal rather than parallel to the x axis. (Note that your y component of the weight is larger than the weight w.)
THANKS!

1. What is acceleration in downhill skiing?

Acceleration in downhill skiing is the rate of change of the skier's velocity as they move down the slope. It is the result of the force of gravity pulling the skier downhill, as well as the effects of air resistance and friction.

2. How is acceleration calculated in downhill skiing?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. In other words, the final velocity of the skier minus the initial velocity, divided by the time it takes to ski down the slope. This is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

3. What factors affect a downhill skier's acceleration?

The main factors that affect a downhill skier's acceleration are the steepness and length of the slope, the skier's body position and technique, and external forces such as air resistance and friction. The type of snow and equipment used can also play a role.

4. How can a downhill skier increase their acceleration?

A downhill skier can increase their acceleration by adopting a more aerodynamic body position, choosing a steeper and longer slope, and reducing friction by waxing their skis. They can also increase their speed by moving their arms and legs closer to their body to minimize air resistance.

5. How does acceleration affect a downhill skier's speed?

Acceleration and speed are directly related, meaning that as a downhill skier's acceleration increases, their speed also increases. This is because acceleration is the rate of change of the skier's velocity, and velocity is a measurement of both speed and direction. Therefore, the greater the acceleration, the faster the skier will move down the slope.