1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Component resolution of g on an inclined plane

1. Sep 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi, I just had a quick conceptual question.
    I understand that if I have an object moving down a ramp, it is being accelerated only by gravity. My question is this:

We should be able to experimentally calculate g if we measure the acceleration down the ramp. Then we can use trigonometry to determine a value for g. However, this only works if you take the
    acceleration down the ramp divided by the sin (theta) . I understand where this comes from (redrawing the angle theta in the middle where the object starts from), but why can we not calculate the component of gravity by saying:

sin (theta) = g / a

This makes more sense to me looking at the initial angle, because g appears to be the opposite side and the acceleration down the ramp appears to be the hypotenuse.

Can someone please help clarify?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2013 #2

I think it will be easier if you draw a diagram

4. Sep 11, 2013 #3
    pzqwWWV.png

I realize that an expression for g should be g = a/sin(theta) by looking at the angle that's formed perpendicular to the plane.

However, if I just look at angle theta in the bottom left corner, why am I not justified in saying g = sin(theta)*a, since to me it appears that the sine of angle theta is just opposite over hypotenuse, or g/a.

5. Sep 11, 2013 #4
    "However, if I just look at angle theta in the bottom left corner, why am I not justified in saying g = sin(theta)*a, since to me it appears that the sine of angle theta is just opposite over hypotenuse, or g/a."

Because you've not got the correct triangle set up. The hypoteneuse of a triangle is its longest side. The component of the gravitational acceleration (g) in the down incline direction is what gives you a. Since a component (a) can never exceed the full vector (g) in magnitude, it follows that a cannot be the hypoteneuse.

Chris.

6. Sep 11, 2013 #5
    The hypotenuse is the longest side, which is (correctly) labelled g in your diagram. The side opposite angle ## \theta ## is (correctly) labelled a. So opposite over hypotenuse is ## \frac{a}{g} ## not ## \frac{g}{a} ##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted