Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compressed Air Tank

1. Oct 4, 2013 #1
    If I allow a tank that's pressurized(3000 psi) and initial temp (121) to cool to room temperature (25 C), will that increase the rate of condensation or is there a fixed amount of condensation that occurs while at that pressure? Having a tough time understanding that phenomenon. If no change in volume does the temperature stay the same.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The amount of condensation is capped by the amount of vapor in the gas.
    You can see if you can have a change in temp without a change in volume by studying a P-V diagram.

4. Oct 5, 2013 #3
    Correct me if I'm wrong. Pressure is an addition of Partial Pressure of Dry Air Pressure and Vapor Pressure. If a tank is exposed to ambient air, which is much cooler than the saturation pressure within the tank, then the release of heat within will decrease the partial pressure of vapor which in turn will increase condensate accumulation, which in turn cools the temperature within the tank. Left out long enough the tank temperature should equate the ambient temperature if enough vapor is in the tank to condense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook