Piezoelectric crystal compression (in cm)

In summary, the maximum amount of force a Piezoelectric crystal (PZT) can withstand varies depending on its size and quality. Generally, a piezo crystal of around 4cm^2 can generate 4-5V when pressed with fingers, which is equivalent to approximately 100N of force. However, the exact amount of compression in cm that a piezo crystal can withstand is not specified and may vary. The information sources used to determine this include internet research and videos on Youtube.
SmritiB
How much does a Piezoelectric crystal (say PZT) compress when applied the maximum amount of force it can withstand ? also it would be very helpful if someone could tell me how much is this force typically ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
SmritiB said:
How much does a Piezoelectric crystal (say PZT) compress when applied the maximum amount of force it can withstand ? also it would be very helpful if someone could tell me how much is this force typically ?

What has your reading said so far? What information sources have you been using to read about this? What size piezo crystal are you interested in?

berkeman said:
What has your reading said so far? What information sources have you been using to read about this? What size piezo crystal are you interested in?

I have been using the internet only. Many videos on youtube show that pressing with fingers (which i presume would be around 100N force) generate 4-5V. On a piezo crstal sized around 4cm^2. What i could not get was how much distance are the pressing it. as in how much compression (in cm) can a crystal typically withstand ?

1. What is piezoelectric crystal compression?

Piezoelectric crystal compression is the process of applying pressure or force to a piezoelectric crystal, which results in the generation of an electric charge.

2. How does piezoelectric crystal compression work?

When a piezoelectric crystal is compressed, the atoms within the crystal are displaced, creating a separation of positive and negative charges. This separation of charges generates an electric field and creates an electric charge.

3. What are some common applications of piezoelectric crystal compression?

Piezoelectric crystal compression is used in various applications, such as in sensors, actuators, and generators. It is also used in medical devices, such as ultrasound machines, and in musical instruments, such as guitars and pianos.

4. How is piezoelectric crystal compression measured?

The compression of a piezoelectric crystal is typically measured in centimeters (cm). This can be done using devices such as a piezometer or strain gauge, which measure the change in length of the crystal when compressed.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to piezoelectric crystal compression?

One potential drawback of piezoelectric crystal compression is that it can only generate a small amount of electric charge, making it less suitable for high-power applications. Additionally, the crystals can be fragile and may require careful handling to prevent damage.