Compulsary National Dark Sky Night

• Thread starter LURCH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sky
In summary, the conversation is discussing the potential involvement of a PFer named Nicool in the recent blackout. It is mentioned that there are two PFers with similar usernames, Nicool002 and Nicool003, and there is a joke about whether this is a Multiple Personality Forum. It is then revealed that Nicool is a PFer who initiated a concept called "National Dark Sky Night" where people turn off their lights to appreciate the stars. However, with the recent blackout, there are concerns that Nicool may be investigated by the authorities. There is also a mention of Mars potentially causing the blackout, but the original question remains unanswered.
LURCH
Science Advisor
OK, how many PFers think Nicool was behind the blackout?

Physics news on Phys.org
Which Nicool? Nicool002 or Nicool003? Is this a Multiple Personality Forum? Let me call my 'friends'!

who is nicool?

Originally posted by Zantra
who is nicool?
Go to 'Members' - click 'N'

PFer who initiated "National Dark Sky Night"; one night a year when people are supposed to turn out their lights, try to convince their local government to do the same (whenever practical), and create one night when the sky is darker than it normally would be. Then, enjoy the stars! Sort of a stellar appreciation night.

It was a great idea, but with this big blackout last week, I'm afraid Nic can expect a visit form the authorities soon!

EDIT:

Actually, I'm quite suprised I haven't heard any conjectures that the blackout was caused by the close pass of Mars!

Last edited:

1. What is Compulsary National Dark Sky Night?

Compulsary National Dark Sky Night is a policy implemented by governments to decrease light pollution and promote the preservation of natural darkness by requiring all outdoor lights to be turned off during a specific designated time each night.

2. Why is Compulsary National Dark Sky Night important?

Compulsary National Dark Sky Night is important because light pollution can negatively impact human health, disrupt ecosystems, and interfere with astronomical research. It also helps to reduce energy consumption and save money on electricity bills.

3. How does Compulsary National Dark Sky Night affect businesses and cities?

Compulsary National Dark Sky Night may initially have a negative impact on businesses and cities that rely on outdoor lighting, such as restaurants or tourist attractions. However, it can also create opportunities for stargazing tourism and promote a healthier environment for local wildlife.

4. Are there any exceptions to Compulsary National Dark Sky Night?

There may be exceptions to Compulsary National Dark Sky Night for essential lighting, such as street lights for public safety or emergency lighting. These exceptions may vary depending on the specific policies implemented by each government.

5. How can individuals contribute to Compulsary National Dark Sky Night?

Individuals can contribute to Compulsary National Dark Sky Night by turning off unnecessary outdoor lights, using motion sensors or timers for outdoor lighting, and choosing dark sky friendly lighting options. They can also support local initiatives and organizations that promote dark sky preservation.