Computational Physics Project Ideas

In summary, "computational physics" is a field of physics that involves using simulations to explore physics models and experiments. Some examples of potential project topics in this field include rag-doll physics, educational physics simulations, astrophysics, protein folding, water simulations, and turbulent flow. The amount of time needed for such a project can vary, but 70 hours is a good estimate. This topic may be suitable for an AP Physics course, and it is important to have a question to answer in the project.
savedbynails
I am in need of a project that needs to be based around "computational physics"

firstly, can someone define "computational physics" for me? My best understanding is that it's the physics that have more to do with math and equations versus physical exploitations.

secondly, does anyone have cool ideas for this project? I am completely clueless as to a question that can be answered to demonstrate computational physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is some intro background:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computational_physics

I would think that some of the fields in computational MHD (like fusion research, etc.) would be very challenging and fascinating to work on.

Doh! Shredder beats me again!

what course is it for?

Computational physics is just exploring some physics model/experiment with simulations.

Topics depend on how much time you have:
Rag-doll physics
Educational Physics simulations for first year physics.
Anything to do with astrophysics
Protein folding
Water simulations
Turbulent flow in atmospheric stuff/geophysics stuff.

Time? 70 hours of time i can actually work on it, give or take a few hours. It helps that i am fast and experienced with computers though. The subject is an AP Physics course. (ie Physics 101 crap from high school) I'm quite a ways beyond the class in knowledge though.

Thanks for the wiki, BTW.

Oh, and we found out today that the professor wants it to answer a question, preferably.

Last edited:

1. What is computational physics?

Computational physics is a branch of physics that uses computer algorithms and numerical methods to solve complex physical problems and simulate physical systems.

2. How does computational physics differ from theoretical and experimental physics?

Computational physics combines elements of both theoretical and experimental physics by using computer simulations to study physical phenomena. While theoretical physics focuses on developing mathematical models and predicting behaviors, and experimental physics involves conducting experiments to gather data, computational physics uses numerical methods to solve equations and simulate physical systems.

3. What are some potential project ideas for studying computational physics?

Some project ideas for studying computational physics include simulating the behavior of particles in a gas, modeling the motion of celestial bodies in a solar system, or using computational methods to analyze data from a physical experiment.

4. What programming languages are commonly used in computational physics?

Commonly used programming languages in computational physics include Fortran, C++, and Python. Each language has its own strengths and is often chosen based on the specific needs of the project.

5. What skills are needed to work on a computational physics project?

To work on a computational physics project, one needs a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and computer science. Proficiency in programming languages and knowledge of numerical methods and algorithms are also important skills to have.