Physics concepts behind pneumatic tube systems?

In summary, a pneumatic tube system is a way to transport things using air pressure. Many different types of systems have been created, some of which are still in use.
SDSphysGod
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
I have a project for my physics class that revolves around the idea of building a working pneumatic tube system. I understand how I would build it and such but my teacher wants me to explain the theory behind it. Does anyone have any ideas about the physics behind this or the principles, rules, and laws that make this possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
SDSphysGod said:
I have a project for my physics class that revolves around the idea of building a working pneumatic tube system. I understand how I would build it and such but my teacher wants me to explain the theory behind it. Does anyone have any ideas about the physics behind this or the principles, rules, and laws that make this possible.
And for extra credit, compare and contrast pneumatic tube systems with Elon Musk's Hyperloop project...

Likes Tom.G and jedishrfu
I have a homework assignment about pneumatic tube systems. Part of this is constructing the system which I understand, but the second part of this assignment is about, theory which I do not understand. When I say theory, I am referring to what principles and why this system works. If anyone understands these theories I would appreciate it if I could be referred to a site where theses concepts are explained thoroughly.

There's not a whole lot of theory involved.Air is pumped through the system and the cylinders are designed to fit snugly in the tubes. So the pressure is greater on one end of the cylinder that the other. Often, there is a method for slowing the cylinder down with air pressure just as it arrives at its destination.

Here is a link to the Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumatic_tube

(Two threads merged -- please do not cross-post across the PF forums. Thanks)

Don't forget IK Brunel's Atmospheric Railway which ran along the West Bank of the River Exe. There is still a building in Starcross that used to contain one of the steam drives. Google it. It is good fun - but failed because rats ate the leather seals, so I believe.

1. What is the physics concept behind pneumatic tube systems?

The physics concept behind pneumatic tube systems is the use of air pressure differentials to move objects through a closed tube. This is based on the principle that air will always flow from areas of high pressure to areas of low pressure.

2. How does air pressure affect the movement of objects in pneumatic tube systems?

Air pressure plays a crucial role in pneumatic tube systems as it is what creates the force needed to move objects through the tubes. The higher the pressure difference between the sending and receiving stations, the faster the object will travel through the tube.

3. What is the significance of the diameter of pneumatic tubes in relation to air pressure and object movement?

The diameter of pneumatic tubes is directly related to air pressure and object movement. A larger diameter tube will allow for a larger volume of air to flow through, resulting in a greater force and faster movement of objects. However, increasing the diameter too much can also lead to a decrease in air pressure and slower movement.

4. How does the length and curvature of pneumatic tubes impact the speed of object movement?

The length and curvature of pneumatic tubes can have a significant impact on the speed of object movement. Longer tubes and more curved tubes will result in a greater loss of air pressure and slower movement of objects. This is due to friction between the air and the walls of the tube, which increases with length and curvature.

5. What other physics principles are involved in the operation of pneumatic tube systems?

Other physics principles involved in pneumatic tube systems include Bernoulli's principle, which explains the relationship between air speed and pressure, and Boyle's law, which describes the relationship between the volume and pressure of a gas. These principles are essential in understanding the behavior of air within the tubes and how it affects the movement of objects.