Exploring Computational Tools in EE for Solid-State and Laser Research

• Thread starter creepypasta13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ee
In summary: Thanks for the advice! oh, well I'm not all that interested in devices such as capacitors and batteries. I was more interested in devices like lasers. Yeah I guess you're right in that I should just go into condensed matter instead. Thanks for the advice!
creepypasta13
So I have a background in physics and applied math, but am considering graduate studies in EE. I know that some areas in EE, such as signal and image processing, use a lot of applied math, but I'm not that interested in those areas. I'm mostly interested in solid-state, lasers, and optics, but am not too interested in using E&M too much (especially at the level of graduate level theoretical physics E&M). I've looked at some research done by EE professors in those areas, but it seems mostly experimental, with not much computational work. I heard that one area of computational work in EE is computational electromagnetics, which honestly doesn't sound too interesting. I was hoping there were comp. methods used for the quantum mechanics side (other than for quantum computing), since that was my favorite class in physics.

Are N-body simulations, molecular dynamics, density functional theory, and/or other computational tools used in EE, in particular in lasers and solid-state? I really would like to utilize numerical analysis, numerical PDEs, and such for those areas, as I know those are used for other areas of physics, like CFD

Engineering news on Phys.org
so does anyone know? from what I've seen of EE profs, its mostly experimental work, with not many people doing computational work

creepypasta13 said:
so does anyone know? from what I've seen of EE profs, its mostly experimental work, with not many people doing computational work

You'll often find that an EE's favorite computational software is solder. It sounds to me like you may want to go into condensed matter physics or perhaps electrochemistry. I think you should research energy storage devices such as super-capacitors, batteries, and even superconductivity. Those are all areas that are more theoretical and the research projects usually begin with a numerical model on a computer.

Topher925 said:
You'll often find that an EE's favorite computational software is solder. It sounds to me like you may want to go into condensed matter physics or perhaps electrochemistry. I think you should research energy storage devices such as super-capacitors, batteries, and even superconductivity. Those are all areas that are more theoretical and the research projects usually begin with a numerical model on a computer.

oh, well I'm not all that interested in devices such as capacitors and batteries. I was more interested in devices like lasers. Yeah I guess you're right in that I should just go into condensed matter instead

1. What is the role of computations in electrical engineering?

Computations play a crucial role in electrical engineering as they allow us to analyze, design, and optimize complex systems. They help us model and simulate various electrical components and systems, making it easier to understand their behavior and make necessary improvements.

2. What are some common computational tools used in EE?

Some commonly used computational tools in EE include MATLAB, Simulink, PSPICE, and Python. These tools provide a user-friendly interface for mathematical and numerical analysis, simulation, and data visualization.

3. How are computations used in circuit analysis?

Computations are used extensively in circuit analysis to solve complex equations and analyze the behavior of circuits. They help determine voltage, current, and power distributions, as well as identify potential issues and optimize circuit performance.

4. Can computations be used in the design of electrical systems?

Yes, computations are an essential part of the design process in electrical engineering. They are used to model and simulate different electrical systems, such as power grids, control systems, and communication networks, to ensure their functionality and efficiency.

5. Are there any limitations to using computations in EE?

While computations are a powerful tool in EE, they do have some limitations. These include the accuracy of the models used, computational time and resources, and the need for skilled individuals to interpret and analyze the results accurately.