Compute Ideal Generated by Matrix 3x3

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fermat1
  • Start date
In summary, the ideal generated by $\begin{bmatrix}1&0&0\\0&0&0\\0&0&0 \end{bmatrix}$ is the whole algebra of $3\times3$ matrices, as any possible matrix can be obtained by taking sums of the rank 1 matrices $axa'$. However, these rank 1 matrices themselves do not form an ideal and must be taken as sums to obtain the full ideal.
Fermat1
Compute the ideal generated by $\begin{bmatrix}1&0&0\\0&0&0\\0&0&0 \end{bmatrix}$

My answer:
$\begin{bmatrix}a&b&c\\d&e&f\\g&h&i \end{bmatrix}$$\begin{bmatrix}1&0&0\\0&0&0\\0&0&0 \end{bmatrix}$$\begin{bmatrix}a'&b'&c'\\d'&e'&f'\\g'&h'&i' \end{bmatrix}$=$\begin{bmatrix}aa'&ab'&ac'\\da'&db'&dc'\\ga'&gb'&gc' \end{bmatrix}$.

Is this correct, and is there a nicer way to express the matrices in the ideal?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fermat said:
Compute the ideal generated by $\begin{bmatrix}1&0&0\\0&0&0\\0&0&0 \end{bmatrix}$

My answer:
$\begin{bmatrix}a&b&c\\d&e&f\\g&h&i \end{bmatrix}$$\begin{bmatrix}1&0&0\\0&0&0\\0&0&0 \end{bmatrix}$$\begin{bmatrix}a'&b'&c'\\d'&e'&f'\\g'&h'&i' \end{bmatrix}$=$\begin{bmatrix}aa'&ab'&ac'\\da'&db'&dc'\\ga'&gb'&gc' \end{bmatrix}$.

Is this correct, and is there a nicer way to express the matrices in the ideal?
That is a correct, but not very informative, way of saying that the ideal is the whole algebra of $3\times3$ matrices. In fact, that algebra has no nontrivial ideals, so the ideal generated by any nonzero element is the whole algebra.

Edit. As later comments point out, you only get the rank 1 matrices this way. These do not form an ideal: you then need to take sums of them to get the full ideal.

Last edited:
Wouldn't the rank of the matrix always be 1?

The product given in the first post is indeed of rank one, yes.

However, any elementary matrix $E_{ij}$ can be produced by such a product by multiplying by $E_{1j}$ on the right, and $E_{i1}$ on the left.

Since any possible matrix can be obtained by $R$-linear combinations of the $E_{ij}$ and all such $R$-linear combinations of elements of the ideal are in the ideal, we obtain all 3x3 matrices.

Perhaps more elegantly, we have (writing $J$ for the ideal):

$E_{11},E_{22},E_{33} \in J \implies I = E_{11} + E_{22} + E_{33} \in J \implies J = \text{Mat}_3(R)$

where $R$ is the commutative ring we are taking our matrix entries from (which may, or may not be, a field, the original poster does not say).

Opalg said:
That is a correct, but not very informative, way of saying that the ideal is the whole algebra of $3\times3$ matrices. In fact, that algebra has no nontrivial ideals, so the ideal generated by any nonzero element is the whole algebra.

Edit. As later comments point out, you only get the rank 1 matrices this way. These do not form an ideal: you then need to take sums of them to get the full ideal.

So what's the generated ideal then? I thought by definition the generated ideal is the set of things of the form axa'

Fermat said:
So what's the generated ideal then? I thought by definition the generated ideal is the set of things of the form axa'

Ideals must be closed under addition...

Related to Compute Ideal Generated by Matrix 3x3

1. What does "compute ideal generated by matrix 3x3" mean?

The "compute ideal generated by matrix 3x3" refers to a mathematical process of finding all possible linear combinations of the elements in a 3x3 matrix, which forms an ideal in a larger mathematical structure known as a ring.

2. How is the ideal generated by a 3x3 matrix calculated?

The ideal generated by a 3x3 matrix is calculated by taking all possible linear combinations of the elements in the matrix and then applying any necessary operations to ensure that the resulting set is closed under multiplication by other elements in the ring.

3. What is the significance of computing the ideal generated by a 3x3 matrix?

Computing the ideal generated by a 3x3 matrix allows us to understand the structure of the larger mathematical system that it belongs to. This can have applications in fields such as algebraic geometry, abstract algebra, and number theory.

4. Can the ideal generated by a 3x3 matrix be calculated for any type of matrix?

Yes, the ideal generated by a 3x3 matrix can be calculated for any type of matrix as long as the matrix belongs to a ring and satisfies certain properties, such as being closed under multiplication and having a unit element.

5. How is the ideal generated by a 3x3 matrix used in practical applications?

The ideal generated by a 3x3 matrix has practical applications in fields such as coding theory, cryptography, and signal processing. It can also be used to solve systems of linear equations and to study the structure of finite fields.