Vector of polynomial and basis.

In summary, the vector space of polynomials to the form ax'2+bx+c is spanned by the vectors x+ 1 and the orthogonal complement of this space is the set of all polynomials p(x)= ax^2+ bx+ c such that <p(x), x+ 1>= p(-1)(-1+1)+ p(0)(0+1)+ p(1)(1+ 1)= p(0)+ 2p(1)= 0. This space has dimension 1 and the basis is the vectors x+ 1 and x- 2/3.
Displayer1243
If this question is in the wrong forum please let me know where to go.

For p
$(x), q(x) \in P_{2}$
, the vector space of polynomials to the form ax'2+bx+c. p(x), q(x)=p(-1) 1(-1)+p(0), q(0)+p(1) q(1), Assume that this is an inner product. Let W be the subspace spanned by
$x+1$
a) Describe the elements of
$w$

b) Give a basis for W (Orthogonal complement) ". ( You do not need to prove that your set is a basis)I've been stuck on this question for quite a while and have made progress that I don't know is fully right if anyone could help so I can get clarification that would be awesome! Thanks!

This is what I have now.
$$
\begin{array}{l}
\mathrm{W}^{\perp}=\{p \in P 2 |\langle p, x+1\rangle=0\} \\
\langle p x+1\rangle=p(-1) x+1(-1)+p(0) x+1(0)+p(1) x+1(1)=p(-1) \\
(-1+1)+p(0)(0+1)+p(1)(1+1)=p(0)+2 p(1)=2 \mathrm{p}(1)
\end{array}
$$
since we are looking for polynomials such that $\mathrm{p}(0)=2 \mathrm{p}(1),$ and with the definition of $\mathrm{P}^2$ all
polynomials $a x^2+b x+c$ such that $c=2(a+b+c),$ so the numbers a,b,c with 2a+2b+c=0. In terms of linear algebra and the null space of $A=[2,2,1]$ which is dimension 2 and generates the vectors
$\begin{bmatrix}1\\0\\-2\end{bmatrix}$ and $\begin{bmatrix}0\\1\\-2\end{bmatrix}$

Which converts back into polynomials to get
$W^{\perp}=\left\{\mathrm{x}^2-2, \mathrm{x}-2\right\}$
Did I solve this question correctly?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, and welcome to MHB! :)

I'm afraid I cannot help you personally, but there are many here who can, and it would be helpful to them to see what work you've done already. This way they can better guide you by perhaps pointing out any mistakes, or providing hints for you to continue, etc.

Frankly your notation is mystifying! You have a strange mixture of fonts. But my biggest problem is your definition of the inner product, "p(x), q(x)=p(-1) 1(-1)+p(0), q(0)+p(1) q(1)".

I can guess that "p(x), q(x)" was intended to be something like <p(x), q(x)> but what does "p(-1)1(-1)" mean? Was that supposed to be "p(-1)q(-1)"? That is, did you mean
"<p(x), q(x)>= p(-1)q(-1)+ p(0)q(0)+ p(1)q(1)"?

Now, W is the subspace spanned by the single vector x+ 1. I would think that you should know that vectors in a subspace spanned by a single vector are just multiples of that vector. All vectors in W are of the form a(x+ 1)= ax+ a where a can be any number.

Yes, the "orthogonal complement" of W is the set of all polynomials, [tex]p(x)= ax^2+ bx+ c[/tex] such that <p(x), x+ 1>= p(-1)(-1+1)+ p(0)(0+1)+ p(1)(1+ 1)= p(0)+ 2p(1)= 0
(you have "p(0)+ 2p(1)= 2p(1)". I have no idea how you got that!)
Since [tex]p(x)= .ax^2+ bx+ c[/tex] that is c+ 2(a+ b+ c)= 2a+ 2b+ 3c= 0. Taking a= 1, b= 0, that is 2+ 3c= 0 so c= -2/3. One vector in that set is [tex]x^2- 2/3[/tex]. Taking a= 0, b= 1, c= -2/3 so another vector is [tex]x- 2/3[/tex]. Those are not multiples so they are independent. The given vector space is clearly three dimensional and W, the subspace of multiples of x+ 1, is 1 dimensional so the orthogonal subspace has dimension 2. Those two independent vectors form a basis. Since this is given as a space or quadratic polynomials I see no reason to write them as "column vectors. [tex]\{x^2- 2/3, x- 2/3\}[/tex] is sufficient.

1. What is a vector of polynomial and basis?

A vector of polynomial and basis is a mathematical representation of a polynomial function using a set of basis vectors. The basis vectors are used to express the polynomial function as a linear combination, making it easier to perform calculations and manipulate the function.

2. How is a vector of polynomial and basis used in mathematics?

A vector of polynomial and basis is used in various areas of mathematics, such as linear algebra, calculus, and differential equations. It allows for the efficient representation and manipulation of polynomial functions, making it a useful tool in solving complex mathematical problems.

3. What is the difference between a polynomial and a basis vector?

A polynomial is a mathematical expression consisting of variables and coefficients, while a basis vector is a vector that forms the basis of a vector space. In a vector of polynomial and basis, the polynomial is expressed in terms of the basis vectors, allowing for easier manipulation of the polynomial function.

4. How do you determine the basis vectors for a vector of polynomial and basis?

The basis vectors for a vector of polynomial and basis are determined by the degree of the polynomial function. For example, a polynomial of degree 2 would have 3 basis vectors, while a polynomial of degree 3 would have 4 basis vectors. The basis vectors are chosen to be orthogonal to each other, making it easier to calculate the coefficients of the polynomial function.

5. Can a vector of polynomial and basis be used to approximate any polynomial function?

Yes, a vector of polynomial and basis can be used to approximate any polynomial function. By increasing the number of basis vectors, the accuracy of the approximation can be improved. However, as the degree of the polynomial function increases, the number of basis vectors needed also increases, making the calculations more complex.