Computer Engineering and Physics

In summary, the individual is a computer engineering major in their freshman year and is considering future coursework. They are concerned about the amount of electrical engineering classes compared to computer science classes in their program. They are not enjoying their current physics class and are interested in computer hardware. They are unsure if they will enjoy future EE classes more than physics classes, but they do not want to waste credits if they switch to computer science. The individual is advised to take multi-variable calculus and consider a computer architecture route if they switch to computer science. Overall, it is suggested that if the individual is not interested in the material covered in circuits, they may want to reconsider their major.
CompEguy
Hi, I am approaching the end of my freshman year as a computer engineering major and I have a few questions about future coursework.
At my school the computer engineering program is a joint program between the electrical engineering and computer science departments with about 70% EE classes and 30% computer science classes. Right now I am in an electricity and magnetism physics class and I really don't like it very much. A big part of my dislike comes from the professor I think, but also I am not enjoying the material as much as I did in my mechanics class. I am definitely interested in learning about computer hardware and how it works though. I am registering for my classes next semester, and if I stick with the computer engineering program I will be taking an intro to circuits class and an intro to digital design class. Are these classes and future computer engineering courses similar to the things that are studied in electricity and magnetism class. I really can't see myself enjoying studying 3 more years of that stuff, but part of myself is wanting to give it a chance. To any compE/EE majors out there have you enjoyed your electrical engineering classes more than your physics classes? I don't want to take multi-variable calc and those two EE classes next semester and then decide to change my major to computer science (I really like my programming class.) because that would be a waste of 12 credits which is like 3/4ths of a semester.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
CompEguy said:
Are these classes and future computer engineering courses similar to the things that are studied in electricity and magnetism class.
Kind of. Most of them take a chunk of the material (like circuits or waves) and go into crazy detail and add more topics under that umbrella.

To any compE/EE majors out there have you enjoyed your electrical engineering classes more than your physics classes?
I loved switching systems and the labs (and you'd probably like switching systems), but I also liked e & m more than mechanics.

I don't want to take multi-variable calc and those two EE classes next semester and then decide to change my major to computer science (I really like my programming class.) because that would be a waste of 12 credits which is like 3/4ths of a semester.
Take multi-var anyway 'cause you can probably use it towards the CS degree (ask your adviser/dept. about this) and 'cause the math is actually semi-useful later on. I think circuits is one of the best weeder classes out there; if the material doesn't appeal to you, EE is so not your field. But, if you don't want to waste the money, look up intro circuits syllabi. They're pretty standard and cover things like basic digital and analog circuits, mesh/node analysis, and amplifiers.

I am definitely interested in learning about computer hardware and how it works though.
If you end up in CS, go the computer architecture route. Take anything with assembly and VHDL and you'll still get an idea of how hardware works, and probably closer to the level you're actually looking for. CompE may just be at a lower level than you really wanted.

Last edited:
Thank you for your insight! It was very helpful, I am going to meet with academic adviser next week and talk about the curriculum.

1. What is the difference between computer engineering and physics?

Computer engineering is a field that focuses on designing and developing computer systems and hardware, while physics is a natural science that studies the fundamental laws and principles governing our universe.

2. How do computer engineering and physics overlap?

Computer engineering and physics overlap in areas such as semiconductor technology, electronics, and optics. Both fields also heavily rely on mathematical modeling and problem-solving skills.

3. What skills are necessary to be successful in computer engineering and physics?

Some essential skills for success in computer engineering and physics include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, mathematical proficiency, attention to detail, and the ability to think critically and creatively.

4. What career opportunities are available in computer engineering and physics?

Career opportunities in computer engineering and physics include software and hardware engineering, research and development, data analysis, and teaching and academia. Graduates may also pursue careers in industries such as aerospace, telecommunications, and renewable energy.

5. Is it possible to study both computer engineering and physics simultaneously?

Yes, it is possible to study both computer engineering and physics simultaneously. Some universities offer dual-degree programs that allow students to earn a degree in both fields in a shorter amount of time. Students may also choose to pursue a minor or take elective courses in one field while majoring in the other.