Computer Model. What am I missing?

In summary, the CAD program "Interactive Physics" can be used to create a machine that runs continuously and under its own weight. However, proper implementation of the numerical method can result in oscillatory motion which can be overcome by reducing the time step.
swedluap
I'm sure most of you are familiar with the CAD program called "Interactive Physics". http://www.interactivephysics.com/ . I started using this program a couple months ago. I have been, for fun, playing with some theories that I have thought up over the past 15 or so years. I started out by creating some of the typical Perpetual Motion Machines of yesteryear, just to watch them fail for myself, of course, they did fail, quickly. I then started modifying them and adding some of my theories, trying out some of my ideas, and somehow I was able to create a machine that actually works, on the computer anyway. It starts, speeds up and runs contiuously under its own weight. It is very slow, so I doubt it would have any useful application in real life. I thought that maybe friction was not being taken into account, so I added resistance to it, and it still works. Has a working computer model ever been made? If so has that model been built only to fail in real life? What am I overlooking here? Please help me make this machine fail so I can stop wasting my time, or I might be forced to actually build a real life model, and I just don't have the time!

Physics news on Phys.org
A improperly implemented numerical method can "fail to conserve energy" ie a pendulum which continues to increase its amplitude of oscillation. A frequent breakdown of numeric methods will result in oscillatory motion which is essentially noise.

But it would eventually stop, right?

I have even tried kick starting it to run the wrong way, it takes a while but it does stop and reverse to run continuously in the other direction. I still don't see what I am missing here.

It can well be that various errors (round off and errors inherent in the methods used) have swamped your real solution. This is not uncommon and is a reason that people doing serious modeling work can rarely use off the shelf products, you need to understand the methods used and how the inherent errors (all numeric methods have them) effect your solution. Sometimes the noise accumulates so your solution blows up other times it will fall into meaningless oscillations.

You may want to take a smaller time step, see what happens. Depending on the method this can help a lot.

I have experienced both the "blow up" and the "meaningless oscillations" in previous models. I have just started a new test, I have added a small weight to one side to see if my model can overcome this flaw. I will let you know what happens, but it is running for now. I will be gone for a while, check tomorrow, and thanks for your help.

Nevermind, I got my head out of my underside. I figured it out. Thanks.

FAQ: Computer Model. What am I missing?

1. What is a computer model?

A computer model is a digital representation of a real-world system or process. It uses mathematical algorithms and equations to simulate and predict the behavior of the system.

2. How is a computer model created?

A computer model is created by first identifying the system or process to be modeled and gathering data and information about it. This information is then translated into mathematical equations and input into a computer program, which generates the model.

3. What are the benefits of using computer models?

Computer models allow scientists to study and understand complex systems and processes in a controlled and efficient manner. They can also be used to make predictions and inform decision-making in various fields such as weather forecasting, economic analysis, and engineering design.

4. What are the limitations of computer models?

Computer models are only as accurate as the data and assumptions used to create them. They may also oversimplify the real-world system and not account for all variables and factors that may affect its behavior. Additionally, computer models may require significant computational power and resources to run.

5. How can I improve my computer model?

To improve a computer model, one can incorporate more accurate and detailed data, refine the mathematical equations and algorithms used, and validate the model's predictions against real-world data. Collaborating with other scientists and experts in the field can also help to identify areas for improvement.