Calculating Connectivity Patterns in a Computer Network

In summary, a computer network consisting of five computers requires 10 network cables for direct connections between each computer. The number of possible connectivity patterns for these cables can be determined using binary representation, with a total of 2^5 possible states. In order to solve the problem, it is important to consider the number of live cables in different combinations.
blackle

Homework Statement

[A computer network consisting of five computers is to be formed by connecting each computer to each of the others by a direct ("point-to-point") network cable.

a) How many network cables are needed?

b) Unfortunately, some of the cables may be faulty ("dead") while others are OK ("alive"). How many different "connectivity patterns" are possible? (E.g., "the cable between computers 1 & 3 is alive, but no others are" is one pattern; "1 & 4, but no others" is a different pattern; "only cable {1, 4} is dead" is a third pattern, etc.)

So I know a) should be 5C2 = 10. But, I am very confused with part b)
I am thinking that to do b) we could think of it as a sum of the number of combinations with increasing number of live cables. For instance if we take 3 computers, then the total no. of combinations possible are (#of ways with 0 live cables) + (# of ways with 1 live cable) + (#no. of ways with 2 live cable) + (# of ways with 3 live cable) = which gives 8.

I could do it for 3 because I manually drew it out, but I am unable to think of equations to come up with these values.
#of ways with 0 live cables = always equal to 1
#of ways with 1 live cable = 5C2 (when there are 5 computers)
#of 1 with with 2 live cables = ?

Am I using the right approach to solve this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do the three cable case a different way. You have two choices for the state of cable 1, two for the state of cable 2 and two for the state of cable 3. How many total? Answer quickly without splitting into cases on how many are live.

Last edited:
Right! Thank you. Reminds of of binary representation. 5 computers, each two possible states 0 or 1. So 2^5 is all the possible number of states. Now to doing the rest of the parts of the problem. Thanks again :)

blackle said:
Right! Thank you. Reminds of of binary representation. 5 computers, each two possible states 0 or 1. So 2^5 is all the possible number of states. Now to doing the rest of the parts of the problem. Thanks again :)

Ok, but the number of cables is 10, not 5, right?

1. What is a computer probability question?

A computer probability question is a question that involves using mathematical principles and calculations to determine the likelihood of a certain event or outcome occurring in a computer program or system.

2. How is probability used in computer science?

Probability is used in computer science to analyze and predict the behavior and performance of computer systems and algorithms. It is also used in designing efficient and reliable computer networks and protocols.

3. What are some common applications of computer probability?

Some common applications of computer probability include data analysis, machine learning, artificial intelligence, cryptography, and network security.

4. How do you calculate probability in a computer program?

The calculation of probability in a computer program involves using mathematical formulas and algorithms. This can include methods such as Bayes' theorem, Markov chains, and Monte Carlo simulations.

5. Why is understanding probability important for computer scientists?

Understanding probability is important for computer scientists because it allows them to make informed decisions and predictions about the behavior and performance of computer systems. It also helps in identifying and mitigating potential risks and errors in computer programs.