Computer science formal language

In summary, if L concatenated with ∑* is equivalent to L, then we can say that all possible strings in L are formed by concatenating words from L with zero or more symbols from ∑. This means that any word in L can be extended by adding more symbols from ∑ and still be a word in L.
francisg3
Suppose L[tex]\sum[/tex]* = L for an alphabet [tex]\sum[/tex] . What can we say about the possible strings in L?

I know that the [tex]\sum[/tex]* is a collection of all possible words of a language and I know that 'L' is a subset of [tex]\sum[/tex]* . So L concatenated with [tex]\sum[/tex]* needs to be equivalent to L. I am stumped.

Physics news on Phys.org
francisg3 said:
Suppose L[tex]\sum[/tex]* = L for an alphabet [tex]\sum[/tex] . What can we say about the possible strings in L?

I know that the [tex]\sum[/tex]* is a collection of all possible words of a language and I know that 'L' is a subset of [tex]\sum[/tex]* . So L concatenated with [tex]\sum[/tex]* needs to be equivalent to L. I am stumped.

How about:

If w is a word in L, than w followed by zero or more symbols from ∑ is also a word in L?

FAQ: Computer science formal language

1. What is a formal language in computer science?

A formal language in computer science is a set of rules and symbols used to represent information and communicate instructions to a computer. These languages are precise and unambiguous, and are used to write algorithms and programs that can be executed by a computer.

2. What are the benefits of using formal languages in computer science?

Formal languages provide a structured and systematic way of expressing ideas and instructions, making it easier to design and analyze programs. They also help in the development of reliable and efficient code, as well as facilitate communication and collaboration among programmers.

3. How are formal languages different from natural languages?

Formal languages are designed specifically for use in computer science and have a strict syntax and grammar. They are not influenced by cultural or linguistic conventions and are used to convey precise instructions to a computer. On the other hand, natural languages are used for communication between people and are constantly evolving.

4. What are some examples of formal languages in computer science?

Some common examples of formal languages used in computer science include programming languages such as Java, Python, and C++, as well as markup languages like HTML and XML. Formal logic, regular expressions, and automata theory are also considered formal languages.

5. How are formal languages related to automata theory?

Automata theory is a branch of computer science that deals with the study of abstract machines and their behavior. Formal languages are closely related to automata theory, as they are used to describe and analyze the languages accepted by different types of automata, such as finite state machines and pushdown automata.

Back