Computer Science or Physics: Which Major is Right for Me?

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's interests in both computers and physics and their dilemma in choosing a college major. The individual is seeking advice on whether to pursue a career in computers or physics and what colleges and courses would be best for each field. They also discuss the differences between computer science and programming and the importance of mathematics in computer science. Ultimately, the individual is encouraged to keep their options open and explore different courses to see where their interests lie.
Mike AkA Don
As a high school Junior this year I need to decide on possible majors and schools to go to. That being said, I've always been quite the computer enthusiast with the ability to learn extremely quick while on a computer. Most people assume that I will go to school for computers and that has given me quite a lot of incentive to pursue college and a career in that area. But different types of Physics facinate me more then computers (probably because I've done so much with computers I'm just around them too much) which makes me want to get into physics. My interest is mostly in the area of Astrophysics because the different concepts of deminsions, time and space are incredible.

What I would like to know is:
1. What my best bet would be, continue with computers or hault my growth in that area and pursue physics?
2. What are the best colleges and courses?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you ever thought about Computer Engineering?

Physicists do take some programming classes so, in your shoes, I would study physics(extremely biased opinion). You could work with computers as a hobby or something. You could view some colleges on www.princetonreview.com[/url] and [url]http://www.collegeboard.com/[/URL]Best colleges? ehh, that would depend on what your definition of best college is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike AkA Don said:
1. What my best bet would be, continue with computers or hault my growth in that area and pursue physics?
What is your long-term goal?
Why can't you advance in both "computers" and "physics"?
What is it about "computers" that interests you? Are you interested in the so-called "computer science"? or "computer programming"? or just playing around with technology and gadgets?
I'd suggest looking over the curricula for "physics" and for "computer science" in a college catalog. Which you would prefer to study?

robphy said:
What is your long-term goal?
Why can't you advance in both "computers" and "physics"?
What is it about "computers" that interests you? Are you interested in the so-called "computer science"? or "computer programming"? or just playing around with technology and gadgets?
I'd suggest looking over the curricula for "physics" and for "computer science" in a college catalog. Which you would prefer to study?
I've had my hand in most areas involving computers; engineering, programming, IT, components; pretty much everything.

I guess I could pretty easily advance in both but I don't know which I want to pull full focus on and which to be a hobby. Which would provide better job security and advancement do you think?

What exactly is computer science? Is it just programming? I really like programming, but wouldn't want to do it for 8 hours a day 5 days a week, stuck in a cubicle. =/

PL

Heres a couple college cirriculums for computer science

http://www.cs.concordia.ca/programs/ugrad/cs/curriculum.html
http://www.uninets.net/~sarihou/curriculum.html

I'd be interested in seeing MIT and Carneige Mellon's cirriculum and course schedules before acctually deciding on that as a major.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are lots of schools that are strong in both computer science and physics. You don't have to (and shouldn't) choose what field you want to pursue as a career right now. Keep your options open, take class, see where your interest takes you.

The "best college" has an extremely subjective answer. You're going to need to give more specifics about what sort of college and experience you're looking for if you want to get meaningful and helpful answers. I did choose my school (Swarthmore College) because I thought it was the "best college" (for me!), but many other reasonable opinions vary.

Stephan Hoyer said:
There are lots of schools that are strong in both computer science and physics. You don't have to (and shouldn't) choose what field you want to pursue as a career right now. Keep your options open, take class, see where your interest takes you.

The "best college" has an extremely subjective answer. You're going to need to give more specifics about what sort of college and experience you're looking for if you want to get meaningful and helpful answers. I did choose my school (Swarthmore College) because I thought it was the "best college" (for me!), but many other reasonable opinions vary.
But what factors should be taken into account to find which college is best for me?

I'm a Computer Science and AI undergraduate at a university in the UK (Edinburgh).

There is no reason for you to not be able to do both. I know for a fact that there's a course at my university called computational physics, which is really a joint degree between computer science and physics.

What exactly is computer science? Is it just programming? I really like programming, but wouldn't want to do it for 8 hours a day 5 days a week, stuck in a cubicle. =/

No, it isn't just programming. Computer science, at it's most basic, is the study of the algorithm, what is computable and what isn't. Programming does come into computer science, but it is used as a tool like an astronomer uses a telescope.

There's a separate degree, called Software Engineering, which is more focussed on programming and engineering methodologies as they apply to computer program design. The two degrees do share a lot of common courses in the first years (teaching students how to program is shared between them etc.).

One consideration the OP may like to make is what sort of maths he likes. Computer scientists generally use more discrete maths, such as graph theory etc. although continuous maths is used a lot in computer vision and areas like that. In my experience, physicists tend to use a lot more calculus than us.

Which would provide better job security and advancement do you think?

Both will provide you with job security.

But what factors should be taken into account to find which college is best for me?

From a CS perspective, the more maths a computer science course has, the better it is. I'd also stay away from courses which teach todays trendy new language, like .net. These tend to be IT courses masquerading as computer science courses.

I hope that this has helped (I'm new here).

Last edited:
That was extremely helpful, I'll look into computational physics. Thanks

What my best bet would be, continue with computers or hault my growth in that area and pursue physics?
You can do both. I am a computer engineer and now I'm studying physics.

Stay away from Computer Science, its not the right thing for either of us haha.

bhunt said:
true but its always a nice hobby

Mike AkA Don, I am from West Chester also. :)

I go to Henderson HS. Nice to see a fellow member from West Chester on PF!

z-component said:
Mike AkA Don, I am from West Chester also. :)

I go to Henderson HS. Nice to see a fellow member from West Chester on PF!
whoa I go to East.. What grade are you in? bhunt goes to East too

Mike AkA Don said:
What grade are you in?
12. We'll have to chat sometime. :)

bhunt said:

Do you have a reason for saying this?

1. What is the difference between computer science and physics?

Computer science is the study of computer systems and their applications, while physics is the study of natural phenomena and the laws that govern them. Computer science focuses on the development and use of technology, while physics focuses on understanding the fundamental principles of the universe.

2. Is computer science related to physics?

Yes, there are many areas of computer science that use principles from physics, such as artificial intelligence, robotics, and quantum computing. Additionally, computer simulations are often used in physics research to model complex systems.

3. What skills do I need to study computer science or physics?

To study computer science, you will need strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a good understanding of mathematics and programming languages. For physics, you will need a strong foundation in mathematics and an interest in understanding the natural world.

4. What career options are available for computer science or physics graduates?

Computer science and physics are both very versatile fields with a wide range of career opportunities. Computer science graduates can work in software development, data analysis, cybersecurity, and many other industries. Physics graduates often pursue careers in research, engineering, education, or technology.

5. Can computer science and physics be studied together?

Yes, many universities offer joint degree programs in computer science and physics for students who are interested in both fields. Additionally, computer science and physics are highly complementary, and knowledge in one field can often be applied to the other.