1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer/System Security + Sencond Law of thermo

1. Apr 15, 2010 #1
    I am a Security Engineer and deal with system security. I have an interest in Physics and wondered if the second law of thermodynamics applied to system security.

My thought is... if you secure a [computer] system as much as possible (this can never be 100%) and leave it. Over time the entropy will increase and render that system vulnerable to attack.

I mainly deal with computer and web application security. So my thoughts are in that context. What I'm trying to say here is that time will eventually render a security system useless no matter how secure it was originally.

Any thoughts on this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2010 #2
    The computer is not a 'closed system' (since it's powered by a wall socket etc.) and therefore is not subject to that law.

One (non physics) reason it's more likely to get cracked if you set it for a while is because of new exploits and better / larger scale (and automated especially) use of older ones.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook