Calculating Computer Heat Generation with Thermoelectric Cooling Device

In summary, the conversation discusses using a thermoelectric cooling device to cool water in a liquid cooled computer. The question is raised about how to calculate the amount of heat in Watts generated by the microchips and processors in the computer. One solution is to use the formula I^2R or V^2/R or VI, where the voltage and current are known. Another suggestion is to focus on the speed of heat exchange with the coolant rather than the amount of heat generated. It is also proposed to use a heat pipe principle for a more efficient system.
Jobistober
Greetings All,

I have a computer project coming up and wanted to take an approach with physics. I want to use a thermoelectric cooling device to cool water in a liquid cooled computer. Heres the question: How can I calculate the amount of heat in Watts generated by the certain microchips and processors in the computer? If I know the temperature of the chip, isn't there a simple way to convert that temperature to its equivalent in Watts?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
How about just knowing the power produced by each component? That should be published data on each component.

Jobistober said:
Greetings All,

I have a computer project coming up and wanted to take an approach with physics. I want to use a thermoelectric cooling device to cool water in a liquid cooled computer. Heres the question: How can I calculate the amount of heat in Watts generated by the certain microchips and processors in the computer? If I know the temperature of the chip, isn't there a simple way to convert that temperature to its equivalent in Watts?
The heat generated /unit time by any electrical resistance is [itex]I^2R[/itex] or [itex]V^2/R[/itex] or [itex]VI[/itex]. So, if you have the voltage supplied and the current, you will be able to work out the heat given off.

I suspect that the most critical factor, however, will not be the amount of heat given off, but the speed at which heat can be exchanged with your coolant at the desired working temperature of the chip.

AM

FAQ: Calculating Computer Heat Generation with Thermoelectric Cooling Device

1. How does a thermoelectric cooling device work?

A thermoelectric cooling device uses the Peltier effect to transfer heat from one side to the other. It consists of two different types of semiconductors connected together with a metal strip. When an electrical current is passed through the device, one side becomes hot while the other side becomes cold.

2. What factors affect the heat generation of a computer?

The main factors that affect heat generation in a computer are the components used, such as the processor and graphics card, the workload of the computer, the ambient temperature of the room, and the airflow and cooling system of the computer.

3. How do you calculate the heat generation of a computer with a thermoelectric cooling device?

To calculate the heat generation of a computer with a thermoelectric cooling device, you will need to know the power consumption of your computer components, the efficiency of the thermoelectric device, and the ambient temperature. You can then use the formula Q = P x (1-E), where Q is the heat generated, P is the power consumption, and E is the efficiency of the cooling device.

4. Can a thermoelectric cooling device cool a computer more efficiently than traditional cooling methods?

It depends on the specific components and setup of the computer. In some cases, a thermoelectric cooling device can be more efficient, but in others, traditional cooling methods may be more effective. It is important to consider the workload and ambient temperature when comparing cooling options.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a thermoelectric cooling device for a computer?

One potential drawback of using a thermoelectric cooling device is that it can only cool one side of the device, which means that the other side may still become hot. Additionally, thermoelectric cooling devices can be less efficient when operating at high temperatures, which can limit its effectiveness in cooling a computer. Furthermore, they can be more expensive and complex to install compared to traditional cooling methods.

Back